Bulk user creation in AD

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by BouncingSoul, Jun 17, 2010.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

It's time to create the new user accounts for our incoming students. I've never had to do more then a handful at a time in the past. This time, it's over 100. I've heard you can use a script to do it for you. I have no idea how to do that and all the things I've read online are way to advanced for me. My boss is toying with the notion of getting this:

Active Directory User Import, Import Tools

But no one here knows anything about it. So what do you recommend? Bite the bullet and do it manually or buy this program? Or is scripting really not that difficult? Thoughts?

2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You can script out pretty much anything in AD (including creating users, home directories, etc). You can use CSVDE to do a straight import to create new users if you know how to create the import file - which really isn't too hard to do.. LDIFDE can be used as well if you need to modify existing accounts, but the file format it uses is a little more work (at least for me) to create. (for examples on CSVDE - http://www.gfi.com/blog/csvde-means-simplify-active-directory-administration-part-3/)

You can also use VBScript connecting through ADSI to script out the creation of the user accounts.. (Step-by-Step Guide to Bulk Import and Export to Active Directory)

3. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

BouncingSoul likes this.
  4. BouncingSoul

Hating this already. So much so that I think it'll be easier to do it manually.

Right now despite being told to run it as ldifde –i -f NEWUSERS.ldf -s SERVERNAME it errors out at the -i saying its a bad argument. Odd considering that is the syntax it says to you.

5. BouncingSoul

Active User Manager is the greatest thing ever!

REPS!

6. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Np glad it helped :)
    Out of interest what area of education are you in? uni/school?

7. BouncingSoul

K-12 School district. I'm one of the only one's here and I figured I'd have a nice easy summer. One word ... Nope!