Buffer is not allocated... fatal error

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dan0421, Feb 4, 2002.

1. dan0421

dan0421 Guest

This is a new problem, no new software installed, nothing changed in weeks. Suddenly just happened! Ideas? Shows-up every time I Send/Receive mail through Outlook Express.

Yellow Exclaimation Point in the System Tray:
    WINDOWS - FATAL APPLICATION EXIT

Tiny Personal Firewall Driver: Buffer Allocate" Buffer Size (8207) > FWDRV_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE (5000) - buffer is not allocated.

Any ideas on how to correct this error?

Thank you.

Windows XP HE
    Athlon XP 1900
    768MB DDR RAM

2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Well it's definitely a problem with your firewall, have you tried re-installing TPF or seeing if you can disable it for a moment before you send the mail? Or look around TPF's options since I haven't used it in awhile and see if there are any buffer settings for scanning outgoing items

3. dan0421

dan0421 Guest

First thing I did was uninstall the firewall, then re-installed it... sent an e-mail to myself:same error.

Then I disabled the firewall and sent an e-mail to myself... same error (with the firewall disabled!)

I cannot find any Tiny Software firewall option or menu that has anything to do with buffer size or allocation.

Isn't there a Windows XP dynamic buffer allocation feature? Is is possible that Windows XP is not allocating the buffer space to the firewall driver?

The error states ... "buffer is not allocated".

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

4. dan0421

dan0421 Guest

Well I uninstalled Tiny, removed every Registry entry relating to Tiny, rebooted, then installed Zone Alarm.

Problem solved!

Someday I'll dig deeper into the buffer problem with Tiny, but for now I am back in business with a good firewall.

Thanks!