Budget Printers

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
I'm looking for a budget printer that is better than my ancient Canon BJC-210 (had it for 7 years now! LOL). Don't want to spend more than $150AUD ($90USD). I print out alot of text, and often a picture or two. I want a printer that's cheap, but can also print quality pictures, and fast text. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-RaG

P.S. I'm also looking for a printer that "cheap" to run!

I recommend an Epson printer... you pay a bit more than a HP at first, but the cartridges are much cheaper, plus there are compatibles... HP have their "chip" in their cartridges which stop people imitating them and selling them for cheaper.

Plus, I've always had Epsons and for me to recommend them after over 5 years of using them, they must be good :)

i have a HP LaserJet 1100, and i like it a lot.. its not color, but prints text fast, and if you get the upgraded model it has a scanner in it..

it has seperate slots for paper and envelopes. it also lets you pick if you want the printed paper to come out vertically or horizontally. it looks clean, and works nicely.

if you like color, than pass on this printer. :happy: good luck on the endless search

LOL thanks jonifen and dubstar. I'll continue my search! :D

I'm using a HP 845c deskjet & it does a good job. Just around the corner from me is a place called 'cartridge world'. They can refill them for nearly half price & no it does not damage the printer.

They have stores like that?? hmm... i thought they werent allowed to do that :huh: meh, if its cheap its good :)

-Bert

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
hehehe this is Australia. Even chips for game consols are legal here. :D

LOL good point Hipster Doofus. Where's this "cartridge world"? What suburb? And thx for the feedback.

Well if you are in Melbourne there is one on Princess h/w in Dandenong near the Living Jungle.. They have been advertising recently on tv. Try the phone book for other locations.

Just had a look through the junk mail but couldn't find the ad. :rolleyes:

Hi there,

I have studied the way inkjets work, and i offer you my IMPARTIAL opinion.

Epson - Very good quality - at a price! Over 25% of the inl in each cartridge is wasted, flushing the Piezo pritheads for air.

HP - Quality not noticably worse than Epson, but colours slightly less vivid. No ink is wasted flushing carts for air.

Just a little tip for any Epson owners to prove what I say. If you look in the inside bottom (right side i think?) there is a large pad. As our US buddies call it, an "ink diaper" UIt measures about 20cm x 30cm in Epsons, and about 2cmx2cm on an HP.

If you are printing mainly text, with some pictures/photos, i would go for an HP - better all round quality!

I own a laserjet 4500 colour, and it is superb! The toner is REALLY expensive, but lasts for ages!

I dony mean to annoy anybody, and as always, this is just my opinion!

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks for the insight whiteboyhatcher, and thanks Hipster Doofus for the info on cartridge world. Also thanks to everyone else. Keep the suggestions coming! :D

P.S. Any particular models of printers that are worth noting?

Look into the new Canon bubblejet printers. I just replaced my
Lexmark Z51 (expensive cartridges that kept drying up) with a
Canon bubblejet. It was under $200 and it's fantastic. I'll edit
this reply with the model number when I get home.

If it's inkjet you want it's anything HP basically. True, the cartridges are a bit more expensive but that's because you get a new print head as well (very good if it gets clogged up). Quality is no problem, both text and images look good (very good with the right paper).

I never liked the Canon BJ:s I've come across. Not one of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back