Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by inferno19, Aug 5, 2002.

1. inferno19

inferno19 Guest

Hello all,

Recently I have been having major trouble with blue screens on Windows XP. The most frequent are...

And a sort of generic one that traces the fault to win32k.sys

These usually occur when playing intense 3D games/apps that tend to hog resources, or when there is a high system load.

I have recently begun to record some specifics to these errors, and if needed, I can post some. I used the Windows Event Viewer to gain some more insight on the subject, and I believe I have a large clue.

The report is as follows:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x4d1), which lies in the 0x4d0 - 0x4d1 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I am unaware of what this really means, so I'm relying on you gurus to help me out. LOL. :confused:

Help me!!

System Specs
    500 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 [Display adapter]

Creative SB Live! Series Sound Card (WDM)

Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 04/12/00

224 Megabytes Installed RAM

yeah man i have been having the same problems........... if you find out what causes this.. please let me know
  3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Sounds like a display driver problem.
  4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

The symptoms you describe aren't exactly the ones for this solution but you can try it anyway. Try turning off AGP Fast Writes in BIOS.

Another thing you can try is turning off ACPI support in BIOS. This may however require a reinstall of Windows.
  5. inferno19

inferno19 Guest

Thank you for your replies.

I don't believe that it is linked to display drivers, as I tested many other drivers for my card and have still received the blue screens. Thank you for your help, though.

If I were to disable AGP Fast Writes in the BIOS, what would be the implications of that?

Sidenote: I think my card requires an AGP 2.0 compliant slot, though mine is reported to be only 1.00...could this be related?
  6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

1. The computer works perfectly.
    2. The problem remains.
    Pick one. :)
    Could be... I have no clue ;)