Bootvis - 20 sec freeze up[ish]

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kylie, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Kylie

Kylie Guest

I am at my dads system and trying to optimise a useless 45sec boot up.

If you look at the attatched screenshot of the trace it shows virtually no activity from about 24secs upto 40 secs apart from a minor couple of blips.

All the apps load as normal from 40secs ie: explorer/systray/fast/rundll etc these load within a 4/5 sec interval.

What conmcerns me is the lack of activity from approx 20 - 40 secs any ideas welcomed

K

2. Kylie

Kylie Guest

oooppps screenshoit failed to go up on the above post
    look here

3. pc_tek

pc_tek Guest

does this machine have a nic card? Mine booted in about 60 seconds.. done the same thing, hanging for about 20 seconds. I disabled nic card because I am not using it yet and now boots in 25 seconds flat.

I read in another forum something about this. I need to find it again and try there suggestion. they suggested placing a dummy ip and default gateway in the settings, that this would cause it to boot faster. I dont know how this would work with a dynamic ip though. I will look for the forum after work and see if it will help. I wanted to try this anyways...

more to follow..

4. Kylie

Kylie Guest

thanks - but no network card installed.
    Just the basics /graphics agp/ onboard sound/ usb hub

k

5. mau108

mau108 Guest

update all drivers (ie video card, sound card, modem etc...)

and check too see in networks if there is any local area connection etc...

take a screen shot of your network dialog if u can..

6. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

Kylie,

To diagnose this, we need a complete rundown of his computer, Hardware and startup programs. The more specific the information, the more helpful it will be.

7. Kylie

Kylie Guest

will do next time I am around his house :D