Bootup Error Message

B

bmorrissey51

Ok, this might be hard to understand, as I can't explain it well.

When I turn on my laptop, which runs Windows XP Pro, right after the part where a cursor appears at the top right, so that you can enter setup (you hit either F8 or F10 I believe), and error message appears in the upper left corner, that states something very similar to the following:

Invalid boot.ini file
Booting from windows c:/

Now that might not be the exact message as it appears and then disappears really quickly. Windows continues to load fine, and no apparent problems are present. But, I am not comfortable with this error appearing, as it just began. Can someone please help me out with this? Thanks.

there is probably soemthing wrong with your boot.ini. Copy your boot.ini here, so that we can see whats wrong with it.

I don't know how to copy that in here, can you please tell me how too?

goto C:\ be sure that show hidden and system files is enabled. then open boot.ini with notepad and copy the text in the forum.

C:/ in what folder specifically? Windows? I did a file search and I couldn't find boot.ini

Ive just had the same prob after arsing about with bootxp. Displayed the hiden system files and folders in c: and there is no boot.ini file there at all. Have I deleted it by accident.

If some one can post a working boot.ini file 4 me to copy I would be really gratefull.

p.s. I am using Raid 0 setup for c: drive if that makes any difference.

I AM SUCH A MUPPET!!!!

this is how your boot.ini should look like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

Copied your boot.ini to c: drive then selected "hide" from properties. Problem solved.

bmorrissey51 just copy sboulema's boot.ini file into notepad then choose "save as" "boot.ini" and select "save as type" as "all files"

if it asks if you want to overwrite exisitiing file click yes.

just go to C:\ ,no folder or what so ever, then enable the show hidden and system files option and then you will see the file.

Take this rename it to boot.ini and place it in C:/

before that go on top in C:/ too tools/ folder options / view

and place a check mark in show hidden files

So just dump it in the C: not in a subfolder like windows?

go to "start" and then "run"

now type in there the following (minus quotes)

"c:\boot.ini"

it should open into notepad

Thanks, I put that file in C: and there is no more errors. Much appreciated, thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back