boot.ini question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by macromp, Aug 11, 2007.

1. macromp

macromp the retarded one

so i've had this problem for a while now but it's never really bothered me to the point of trying to do something about it, and i'm planning on building a new one in the next few months anyway.

whenever i turn the computer on i get the option of which OS i want to load, i've only got XP installed.

i just press enter and let it carry on.

i checked in msconfig anyway and when i check the boot paths i get this:

[​IMG]

so when i click yes it doesn't get rid of it, back into msconfig and it's still there.

i didnt know if it could be as simple as trying to find this boot.ini for myself and deleting it manually, so i thought it best to check on here first. and if i cant do that myself, does anyone have any idea how to remove it.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I've never used MSCONFIG to edit the BOOT.ini, always have done it directly. If you are more comfortable with leaving it in there, you could also reduce the timer to something like 2 seconds and it will just take the default of your initial XP. This could hold you over until you build a new one.

Right Click My Computer, go to Properties. Advanced Tab, and then settings under Startup and Recovery. Next to "Time to display list of Operating Systems", you can reduce that timer. You can also use the Edit button on this screen to edit BOOT.ini directly.

Good luck.

macromp likes this.
  3. macromp

macromp the retarded one

i think it'd be better to reduce it the time like you said, i did have a look and there are 2 paths in there but i think i'll just leave them and reduce the time.

thanks

4. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

you could always do a bootcfg /rebuild
    you can do that from the recovery console