Boot delay

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Code_Cutter, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Code_Cutter

Code_Cutter Guest

My system has just developed a long delay when booting, just after the icons appear on the desktop there is a delay of about 45 sec until the windows chime sounds. During this thime I am unable to open any applications. I have run virus checks and spyware checks, but they have revealed nothing.
    Could anyone could shed some light on my situation?

Thanks in advance..:(
  2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    if you didn't tell me it only just started, I'd swear it ws the workstation service

in any event, check tos see if it's on automatic, if it is, set it to manual

windows key+r, paste

'hit "w"

till you get to the workstation
  3. Code_Cutter

Code_Cutter Guest

Thanks Dealer, unfortunately no success. It's a real mystery, it only just started in the last 2 days.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    If disabling the workstation didn't help try this>

1. Go to the control panel/admin tools/.
    2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.
  5. Code_Cutter

Code_Cutter Guest

Thanks Hipster, advise applied but no success. I think Im doomed to use the F word.....format. Shhhhhhhh..

6. lechtard

lechtard Guest

Do you have Norton antivirus installed ??
  7. Code_Cutter

Code_Cutter Guest

Yes Lechtard, I am running Norton System Works and Firewall.
    Norton antivirus was the cause of my problems!! since being removed the bootup is fine. Norton's has alot to answer for......
    Can anyone recommend a good and reliable antivirus and firewall software??
    Thanks all
  8. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

i use AVG and AntiVir Personal for antivirus. Both are free and i guess they work well enough, havent had a virus/trojan yet.

There are some other good free programs out there, and im on a quest to try them all. :D
  9. lechtard

lechtard Guest

I'm just surprised you were able to uninstall it without having to a reformat ..

I say the best antivirus is no antivirus, they are all misleading peaces of garbage. As long as you have a router with DMZ disabled and a firewall you should be fine .. I have been using panda, but I will be getting rid of it soon ...
  10. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

How will you detect and remove virus'? You can get a virus by just visiting a webpage. I think that not having antivirus is a very dumb AND foolish thing to do, unless your runnig Linux.