Block Windows Updates

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I know how to turn off Windows Updates in the Registry, is there a way I can grey that tab out, and only that tab (I found how to block access to all of the system properties, but that's not what I want) - without using GPO?

try creating this reg key:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

it's not a dword value at the end.. it's a key.. the "DisableWindowsUpadteAccess" should be the key will just the null (default) string value in the key

j79zlr - thanks for the list, I'll check it out.

After some fiddling, I did find it and it worked...woo!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000001

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.

Good idea in theory, but unfortunately that didn't help.

My PC didn't have the bolded part created, so I made the rest all the way out as Keys and then a DWORD on the end.

Basically what I did was some googling around DisableWindowsUpdateAccess and was eventually able to find it. Thanks for the tip fitzy.

I have the long list of GP registry entries on my site, http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php

http://j79zlr.com/gphome.php#WindowsUpdate

This list is pre SP2 though, I believe there are a few things that need to be added.

Great reference there, will definitely bookmark it :)

whats wrong with disabling the two services and locking users out of services.msc?

Administrators could run services.msc and enable temporarily.

Was looking for as little restriction as possible. Kind of a long story which I don't feel like telling, but this is all I wanted to do and I have now done it, so it's all good :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back