Block Banned IP's - Continued

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by chaos945, Feb 9, 2004.

1. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

After using ZAUpdate for the past few weeks I've found it very useful, as well as the online conversion site also posted. But today after some more searching I've found two more applications which are even more powerful in stopping connections with IP's designated in the banned list.

The first app is "The Blocklist Manager", this amazing application searches multiple source sites for lists of constantly updated banned IP ranges. Not only that but it has integrated list management and conversion for common custom filter lists. Also integrated are many very handy other appliances and utilities too many of which to explain in just this post. read more...

The second app is a "system level protection" program called "Protowall". This app will actually take the lists you provide to it and block all connections at this level. read more...

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

who determines what ip is bad and what is the criteria? sounds like you would end up w/ the majority of the net banned eventually ...

3. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

The list is determined in the sources you choose to download from; a general description of the banned ranges in each list is commented next to the source. This method is not perfect, since people can always just change their IP's but its better than nothing, and resources are minimal.

4. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

You guys want to see just how useful this is, check out my log after about 10 min on Kazaa. 0.1% of all my traffic was blocked after 1 hour of use.

5. allbusiness

allbusiness on drukqs

Since protowall's gone... I just thought I'd bump this great program. ZAUpdate stopped working for me =( so I hit up the Blocklist Manager... wow. Works amazingly well. What sources are you using?

6. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Err, Protowall is gone?
    I stopped using ZAUpdate because it really bogged down my surfing with all those filters, I find Protowall to be much easier to just flick on and off, or modify ranges when it serves my purposes. My sources for The Blocklist Manger are listed below, I export these to Kazaa and to Protowall.

All the links have been updated in the initial post.