BitUnlocker unveiled.

Discussion in 'Submitted News' started by Erbmaster, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

This massive security hole should have the security conscious on their toes, and fast!

This security hole is largely dependant on the DRAM you use.
    As data is retained for up to a minute after powerdown in some circumstances, the retained keys are easy pickings following a cold-boot.

BitUnlocker in action

Source :- The Register

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

you posting stories so you can access the employees section again :p

3. Erbmaster

Far from it :p...been there done that. Still have the T-Shirt somewhere :D (although it's now faded and reads 'XP-erience or NTFS.org' or something like that)

I did feel this needs exposure however. It's a pretty big story, and well....I didn't see it posted on the main page.

If you don't like people posting stories in the 'News Submission' forum I figure it's a flawed concept from idea to production, yet strangely the section still exists. So as such I'll use it ;)

Think of it as me making your job easier today, oh, and with that in mind; you're welcome :p

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Having been messing with Bitlocker for enterprise deployment recently, I know we are safe as the PC has had it's sleep mode disabled.

But I guess thre is that period where the machine will be locked before hibernating.

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

im too busy atm to post stories, moving everything over to 64bit, and i have given you credit on the front page ;)

6. Erbmaster

I was amazed to see DRAM hold data for 10 mins lying on a table when cooled tho :eek:
    Maybe we'll see gangs of hit 'n' run DRAM thieves with cans of compressed air!

Was only pulling yer leg, hence all my emoticon spammage :D
    Thanks for posting it tho /fluffle