Bios flashing advise needed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sux, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Sux

Sux Guest

Here is what Asus says I should do for my A7V mobo :

1. Create a bootable system floppy disk by typing [FORMAT A:/S] from the DOS prompt without creating "AUTOEXEC.BAT" and "CONFIG.SYS" files.
    2. Copy AFLASH.EXE to the just created boot disk
    3. Boot from the disk you created earlier.
    4. At the "A:\" prompt, type AFLASH and then press <Enter>.

Well I tried FORMAT A:/S from the command prompt and it did'nt like the command.
    So I did a "create a MS-dos startup disk" from the A: drive format option,is this the same thing,cos when I followed the rest of the instructions ,rebooted and typed "AFLASH" at the A: prompt nothing happened.
  2. arson_nick

arson_nick OSNN Addict

Unfortunately, versions of windows newer than ME, or maybe even 98 don't support the /s command. You'll have to go download a disk image from say and then actually go in a delete the autoexec and config files.
  3. Burpster

Burpster Guest

my A7V333 has a flash utility that comes with it making it a breeze to flash
  4. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Asus, while it can make some pretty cool boards, has ****ty documentation. They love to parade that AFLASH utility, which is useless for NT-based Windows systems.

They have a Windows-based program called "Asus Update" that will update your BIOS and will do it in a very foolproof manner. I guess I wish they would advertise it better!

5. Sux

Sux Guest

Thanks for the replies guys the Asus Updater did the trick.
    Great forum , sound advise.