Best way to convert VHS from a VCR to movie files and DVDS.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VenomXt, Mar 15, 2007.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

I’m looking for a card that’s sole purpose is to convert safety videos on VHS from a VCR to .avi's then maybe to dvds.

Is a TV card the best idea for this? anyone have any recommendations been awhile since I have followed them.

~Sean

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Ati's tv tuners are a good route to do this.

I have converted a few of my friends VHS' to formats for tv's and dvd's.

You should be able to use Hauppauge cards for the same, or Pinaccle products.

They are all good.

3. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

if your looking for vhs to dvd, just buy a vhs to dvd recorder. something they would sell at best buy. It would probably the easiest way to go. In my opinion.

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

I also need the functionality of having them as files. We use a file server to access safety information and use media player to play them. That way they don’t have to carry around a dvd.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Do what celtic suggests. Then stick the dvd in any computer and rip it using Nero. Handling and compressing TV card files will be HD space and time comsuming.

And I beleive ATI uses a proprietary format that needs to be converted or a special viewer installed on each machine. Can't remember for sure.

Running through a video card is too much like work.

6. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

if it does, it's the first i've heard of it. anyway it would come with WDM drivers so any capturing application will do :)

7. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

i totally agree. It is too much work for the hassel. Easier to go from VHS to dvd then rip to avi. IMO