Best quiet 80mm fan or PS mod?

D

Digerati

I have an Antec 300w Powersupply that makes the most noise of anything else in my system.

It comes with a 80mm ball bearing fan that isn't a jet engine, but is louder than I want.

Anyhow, I'm wanting to get a quieter 80mm fan to replace in the powersupply.

From what I've read online, the Panaflo L1A 80mm fans seem to get alot of good reviews for being efficient and quiet. Anyone know of any better fans? and do you think replacing it with an L1A would still provide enough cooling for my power supply?

I have the following system:

AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
Epox 8rda+
2x256mb spectek pc2700 ram dual channeled
ATI Radeon Pro 9500
WD special edition 80gb harddrive wd800jb
liteon 24x cdrw
toshiba 4x dvdrom
sony 52x cdrom
sb live!value pci
ati tvwonder ve pci

Thanks!

300 watts isn't a whole lot for that system, good brand or not. i'm not saying your power supply should be replaced, just that it is being stressed and needs all the cooling can get. i don't recommend putting in a slower fan.

how can i tell if my powersupply is being overtaxed and pushed to its limits?

here are the voltages given by hardware monitor for my system:

Voltages:
+12v: +12.10V
-12v: -12v: -12.45v
+5v: +4.87v
-5v: -5.24v
core: +1.57v
aux: +1.58v
i/o: +2.61v

Mainboard temps: 20c
CPU: 39C
CPU2: 34C (not sure what temp this represents)

is this good or bad?

your 12v and 5v are both fine... but i can't say anything for the core and i/o voltage since i don't know what they should be at for your setup.

and all of it could be worthless info because the voltage monitors on a lot of boards aren't very accurate. taking a good voltage meter straight to your 12v and 5v (molex connector, yellow and red wires) would give an accurate read.

The best way to tell if you can put in a slower, quieter fan is to feel the air comming out of the PSU. Is it hot? If yes, don't change the fan. If no, it might be OK to change the fan. If you want good silent fans look for Papst. Panaflo is also good I've heard. :)

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back