Best overclocking AMD XP chip

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silky62678, May 6, 2003.

1. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

what would be the best overclocking XP chip? I heard xp 2500 is good, per price and overclocking speeds.

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I would say either the 1700+, 2100+ (my favorite), or the 2500+. IMO, the 2100 gets the best bang for the buck in the present time, its relatively cheap and gets up to 2.2ghz easy...

3. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

I have a 2100+ chip myself, and I can easily get up to 2700+ speeds with the stock hsf.

4. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Definitely the 1700+ and 2100+ t'bredB chips are the best. 2100+ are just about guaranteed to make 2.2ghz as bootsy said :)

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

is this all 2100+'s? aren't there two different cores?

6. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

2.2ghz...isnt that higher than xp3000 ?
    Why wouldnt higher chips like 2400 be better ?

7. jumpy

jumpy Guest

There are the tbred A's and the tbred B's, just different revisions of the same core. B is a really good overclocker, whereas A is not so good :) There is also the palomino version of the 2100+ which I wouldn't bother getting if you want to overclock....

8. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

How can u tell if it is a tbred A or tbred B, or Palomino?

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

a 2.2ghz 266fsb chip would be more like a 2700+. but not like the regualr 2700+ which is a 333fsb cpu at 2.17ghz)

2400+ = 2.00ghz (266)
    2600+ = 2.13ghz (266)

10. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Because they cost more ;)
    The tbred core has it's speed limits, the lower spec cpu's can often get there as well. The higher spec cpu's are more likely to get to these speeds but you pay for it :)

11. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i think the palominos have a square core, are brown and ceramic-like, and have the little capacitor things on the top of the cpu around the core, rather than the bottom in the middle.

again, i think. :p

tbred's are green, right? and have the capacitors on the bottom under the core.

12. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

Dont think i have seen a green core. i seen the brown looking square ones

13. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

ok, back to the question at hand...which amd xp chip is really good at overclocking...im getting alot of xp2100 seletions. any other chips ?

14. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

and thanks guys for the Overclocking 101 :)

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

my fault... when referring to brown or green, i meant the rest of the cpu, not the cores.

16. silky62678

silky62678 Guest

oh ok, i see what u mean know. how can u tell between tbred A or tbred B? Are they both green?

17. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

think so. as far as i know, the only difference is the model number printed on the cores.

18. jumpy

jumpy Guest

There will be a code written on the cpu that will look something like AIUHB. The final letter of the code tells you whether it is a tbred A or B. In this case, it is a tbred B.

19. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

here's a good site that explains the lettering and such.

[edit] okay, the palominos are brown with the processor id printed right on the core and the transistors placed underneath the core...
    [​IMG]

the thoroughbreds are brown or green with a processor id plate seperate from the core and the transistors placed on top of the cpu...
    [​IMG]

20. Plexapotamus

Plexapotamus Guest

I have a green 2000+ palomino, (so the palominos also come in green)

OC's like ****. cant get up much more than 1.813 no matter how much I raise my vcore.