Best file backup programs..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by XpGuy1, Jan 9, 2004.

1. XpGuy1

XpGuy1 Mindless Poster

Can i have your opinions on back up programs. I don't normally back up but i think its time i start before i'm left high and dry one day ...

2. phishhead

phishhead OSNN Senior Addict

I personally use drive image and make an image once or twice a month on a separate hard drive then just take that hard drive out of the pc for safe keepin.

3. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

The XP PRO Backup with ASR , backed up to a separate partition or cd drive, is free and really works.
    Saves paying out good money !

4. SysProg

SysProg OSNN Addict

I use Stomp's Backup MyPC to backup to a hard drive in a removeable drive drawer. This product started out as a Seagate product, bought by Veritas, and now by Stomp.
    I have used a flavor of this product since Symantec bought PC Tools, maybe about 8 years ago, and killed off it's excellent backup prog.

It backs up to almost all media types (tape, DVD, hard disk, ZIP drive, etc) and has the ability to create a stand-alone recovery set (one that you don't have to reinstall Windows in order to recover your system).

A full hard-drive to hard-drive backup takes a little over 2.5 hours for 17+ Gig of data. This includes the time to compare the backup copy to the original. I do this out of habit from when I used tape and found that the tape media had gone bad.

I have two hard drives that I use as follows:
    1) First Saturday of the month - take a full backup to drive A.
    2) Each Saturday after the first one - take an incemental backup to drive A (only backs up what has changed since the last backup).
    3) The first Satuday of the next month - take an incemental backup to drive A and then a full backup to drive B. Drive A goes to the office for off-site storage until the first weekend of the next month.

I use this procedure so that I can go back from 30 to 60 days to recover a file.

Harley

5. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

I do the same as Phishhead A.k.A. Adobo but with Ghost.

6. jdn

jdn I'm trying

Drive Image works great.
    You can back up over a network if you wish without having to find dos drivers for your nic card (sometimes impossible) .
    You can also backup without kicking out of windows.
    For file backup I use second copy.
    Simple interface. Many backup options. Will execute program stops and restarts
    e.g. close outlook, copy pst files, restart outlook.
    Does incremental backup.

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

SysProg-

I wish I could be that good about backing up