Best email program?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by joyojoy, May 16, 2009.

1. joyojoy

joyojoy Not all there...

I had to reinstall my entire system (Vista 64bit) a few weeks ago, and among the many little problems I've been having is that Outlook 2003 will not let me use my contacts for multiple-addressed emails. I can vewi my contact list, but if I click on TO or CC when I got to address an email, I get this message:

"The address list could not be displayed. The Contact folder associated with this address list could not be opened: it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions..."

I'm so sick of putzing with it. I noticed in another thread that a lot of you use Windows Live Mail. So I was just wondering which email program y'all think is "da bomb"....

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

Thunderbird is all you need

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i have been having issues with thunderbird making multiple copies of the same email in the inbox and junk folder, so i went back to outlook 2007

4. joyojoy

joyojoy Not all there...

re: Best email program

That's another one of the problems I have with Outlook 2003 as well. I have two different accounts from one server (both have the exact same settings), and one of them gets 3 copies of every email sent to it.

I'll look into TBird... If nothing else, it has an awesome logo... :cool:

BTW... One of the features I'm looking for is good formatting options -- one of the few decent features of Outlook. For example, I asked my brother (my other personal computer guru) about Windows Live and he said it's just basically just a revamped version of Outlook Express: Email formatting such as signatures is clunky and it doesn't integrate well with anything.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i think you can download templates for windows mail from Microsoft, but not too sure how good they are

6. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I'm still using the final Qualcomm version of Eudora Pro (v7.1.0.9) before it was abandoned in October of 2006 and became the Penelope Project (https://wiki.mozilla.org/penelope). Penelope is an extension to Thunderbird and the goal is to essentially offer the features and looks of Eudora while using Thunderbird as the foundation. The development is slow. :(

I've actively looked for a replacement for Eudora Pro but I just haven't been able to find any client that I feel is enough to finally leave Eudora behind. That said, Eudora Pro v7 & Penelope (Eudora v8) do work perfectly under Vista 64-bit. I just wish I could find something similar but supported.

It's dead, yes, but I still consider Eudora to be the best email client. I guess I'm stuck in the past.

7. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I use windows live mail and outlook ..

8. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Gmail :)

9. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

Another vote for Tbird - I find it especially effective if you have multiple email accounts or use anything like freecycle where filtering and control are a must have. And the duplicate emails issue is, I believe, something that could afflict any email program and not specific to Tbird.

10. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

11. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I got tired of backing up, migrating, restoring from a local client, so I've been using Gmail exclusively. If you still want a client, Thunderbird with IMAP.