Best 17" Monitor!

N

NegativeFactor

Ok i'm getting a new computer with a Radeon 9700 Pro card in it. From all reviews it looks like this card outperforms the ti4600 but only @ high resolutions. So thus since i have a 3 year old monitor that will only do 1280 by 1024 at 60hz (which hurts my delicate eyes!) I need a new monitor. I'm after a 17" because i have had experience with bigger and smaller in the past and don't like either. Can anyone suggest the best monitor on the UK market today, forget about price i'm thinking of image quality and refresh rates here!

Thanks

Ok this need to be quick cus i want to get the monitor today!!! come on people or i'll go out and buy a rubbish one and regret it!

well that sort of depends on what u do with ur computer. For surfin the web, playing card cames, office tasks a 15 or 17 inch would be fine. For playing games like Warcraft 3 or Half-Life I would no smaller then a 17 and as far as max get the biggest that u cab hook up to ur video card. If u want a good brand I would say Sony Trinitron or a NEC with the same basic style

depends on how much $$$£££ you have
& how much room you have
17" is ample
but the big screens do look good
;)

I'm not fussed about moo-lar(money) i just want the best i can get. I'm deffintely only want to go 17" and i'll be playing games, i'm not gonna get a top notch GFX card to play Cards! lol Thank for the NEC suggestion, at the moment this looks like the best model to get. Keep the suggestions coming people!

I'm using a Hansol 710p (Now named the 710D i think?)
Hasn't let me down yet.

1280x1024 @ 85Hz and 1600x1200 @ 75Hz

I'm using a hansol 710D, very impressed with it.

If your getting a CRT Monitor, make sure you get a flat CRT screen, makes a huge difference!

Samsung 170T with Digital Connection. Works a wonder on eyes, especially mine, that used to tear up after an hour at my old CRT. Weird, I know, one near sighted , one farsighted, both messed up :)

Originally posted by Jz1397-4
Viewsonic A90f trust me, so nice and flat crt.
Viewsonic A90f and A95f are very good monitors. 19", though... i don't see why you don't get 19". but if you insist on 17" for whatever silly reason, try the Viewsonic A70f or A75f.

whatever you get, make sure it's a flat crt!

there is a $1000 sony trintron, forget the name. Its what Maximum PC used on there 2002 dream machine.

Ok i got a monitor, it's kinda weird tho, can't get used to it (check sig for make/model). Ok i got a question, someone before (Nick M) mentioned a digital connection. Now my card has 2 connectors on the back, the one is the normal small one, and the other a longer (twice as long) white one. Is this the digital connection? Will i get a better picture using this? My GFX card came with a converter for the normal connection. should i use it?

the long white connection is DVI... and is used for digital flat panel's (LCD's). if you put the adaper on it, it would be the same thing as the connection you're hooked up to now (analog). so that DVI port is either for an lcd or 2nd analog.

what's wrong with the monitor? have you installed monitor drivers fro it? if you do, you can select the optimal (highest) refresh rate which will help your eyes.

I'm not really sure, it just doesn't look right, i think it's possibly the drivers that are the problem, because they are so new. It's weird it like as long as there is only a small portion of white on the screen, it's bright white. But as soon as you open say, an blank explorer window, full screen, the color goes this eggshell white color, and it's really irritating.

drivers won't affect that. drivers only dictate what resolutions and refresh rates you can pick.

if your colors are weird, i'd try messing with the controls on the monitor... namely, the 'temperature' controls, which changes the color temperatures. you can slelect a 'warmer' mode which will give you that eggshell-ish color, to 'cold' which will make it more bright bright bluish-white.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back