Bellsouth fast acces dsl problem

• Thread starter Homerbalooza
  • Start date
H

Homerbalooza

My rbother has a comptuter n my mom has a latop n now i recently got a computer.We have had the dsl modem on my bros comp but since my room is in the middle we decided to p[ut it in mine becasue we bought a router. IM m trying to install dsl(not the router)and now on the tollbar the icon shows yellow not green. So now i cant connect on dsl so then i cant install the router....any thoughts?

-Nick

DSL

First you don't need to install your dsl on your pc if you are going to use a router. DSL gets configured onto your router, but you must make sure your pc is cabled to your router properly, so that you can access the router configuration page which is usually located at 192.168.1.1(this is the internal ip address to your router), also see manufacturer manual just in case its different. If your bros pc has two ethernet cards remove one of them. You don't need two anymore.

Determining a Static or Dynamic IP

Windows 2000/XP
a) Double click on My Computer located on either the Desktop or the Start Menu
b) Double click on the Control Panel icon
c) Please double click on Network Connections or Network and Dial up connections.
d) Select the Local Area Connection that controls your Network Card (Usually the first listed) and Double click it.
e) When "Local Area Connection Status" opens click Properties
f) Select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties

Dynamic IP Address

Windows 2000/NT/XP
1. Click on the Start button and click on the Run option
2. When the "Run" window opens please type in cmd and click the OK button
3. When "Command Prompt" appears type in ipconfig /all
4. Please make note of the "Physical Address"

Static IP address

Windows 2000/XP
1. Double click on My Computer located on either the Desktop or the Start Menu
2. Double click on the Control Panel icon
3. Please double click on Network Connections or Network and Dial up connections.
4. Select the Local Area Connection that controls your Network Card (Usually the first listed) and Double click it.
5. When "Local Area Connection Status" opens click Properties
6. Select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
7. Make note of the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway
8. Now make note of the Primary DNS Server and Alternate DNS Server
9. Now change the option from Use the following to Obtain an IP address automatically
10. Click OK and Close

Connecting the router to your modem

A. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of your computer and insert it into the WAN/Internet Port of the router
B. Take another Ethernet cable and plug it into one of the free ports on the router, then insert the other end into your PC.
C. Hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds
D. Restart your computer

Configuring your router

A. Accessing the router
1. Double click on Internet Explorer located on your desktop or on the start menu
2. Once "Internet Explorer" has opened type http://192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click Go
3. An window called "Enter network password" should appear
4. Leave the "Username" field blank and go to "Password" and type in admin and click OK
5. Now the setup screen should appear, please follow the steps below for the type of IP address you have and the type of service.

B. Dynamic IP addresses

1. Cable
a) Click on the Advanced tab to the very right, then click on the Mac Addr Clone tab.
b) Once the "Mac Address Cloning" portion of the setup comes up please input the Adapter or Physical address you made note of earlier in this article.
c) Click Apply and Continue
d) Please proceed to the "Finishing the setup" portion of this article.

2. DSL
a) Click on the Advanced tab to the very right, then click on the Mac Addr Clone tab.
b) Once the "Mac Address Cloning" portion of the setup comes up please input the Adapter or Physical address you made note of earlier in this article.
c) Click Apply and Continue
d) If you use a User name and password to connect to the
Internet please follow these additional instructions.

(1) Click on the Setup tab
(2) This will bring you to the "Setup" section of the router. Scroll down and locate the PPPoE option or WAN Connection Type
(3) Enable PPPoE, or select PPPoE as the WAN Connection Type
(4) Input the user name and password your ISP gave you to connect to the Internet.
(5) Check the option for Keep Alive, and set the redial period to 20
(6) Click Apply and Continue

C. Static IP Addresses
1. Scroll down to the WAN IP address or WAN Connection Type from "Obtain an IP address automatically" to Specify an IP address
a) Input the following settings you made note of earlier:

b) IP address
b) Subnet Mask
c) Default Gateway
d) DNS
2. Click Apply and Continue

Finishing the Setup

A. Shut down your PC
B. Unplug the power from the back of the router
C. Unplug the power from the modem
D. Wait for 30 second
E. Power up the modem
F. Wait for the lights to stop blinking
G. Power up the router
H. Start up your computer
I. Surf the internet

Good luck.

True, no need to install the DSL on the PC. The network structure chould look like this:

Code:
   DSL
    |
  Router
  //||\\
Computers

i installed the dsl modem but it doesnt connect the status is yellow. IM just trying to fugire out ho to fix that so the i can movve on to the router

Well I don't know what yellow means. Surely it tells you more than just "yellow"? Are all settings correct? Any logins, passwords? Maybe it's the ISP who has locked the MAC address?

the yellow means thats like it cant connect n thats its down, i dont know much about ip's or connection things.

Originally posted by Homerbalooza
i dont know much about ip's or connection things.
Those details should be in any papers you got from your ISP. You should also call their support, they may be able to give you the right information.

If the DSL modem can't sync up, it could be a number of things, including a phone line problem outside the house, inside wiring problem, bad modem, or something inside the house is interferring with the DSL signal. You can try unplugging all phones, especially 900 mhz phones, and then seeing if modem syncs up. Maybe try a different phone jack too. A lot of times a no sync issue is caused by a problem with the phone line. Call your ISP and they can usually issue a request to have the phone company check the line.

If the phone company did the install, they may have originally put filters on all the outlets including your bedroom and now you are trying to plug in a dsl modem into a filtered outlet. Also is the phone line in your room the same phone number as the line that the modem came off of, if you have two lines, the dsl may not be on the second line.
Natas

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back