Bandwidth Monitor

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Apr 3, 2005.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Does anyone know of a decent bandwidth monitor, I'm after a (free) app that will give information on my total network usage on the various devices in this machine (something like Net Traffic Meter on Windows).

I need an app that doesn't suffer from the nasty 32-Bit integer bug either, where-by the information loops at 4GB of throughput.

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

3. SPeedY_B

Exactly what I'm after, with the small problem of it being a Windows application.

4. Khayman

that'll teach me not to look at the forum name

5. Khayman

6. SPeedY_B

I have menu meters. Seems to suffer from the 4GB loop though, and the bwm-ng doesn't do totals, just current usage.

Will try leaving Menu Meters open for the next >4GB value to pass, see if it doesn't loop when open.

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I just saw something about a bandwith monitoring app over in Skype forum .. will see if i can find it again. :)

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Problem is, that most of those apps get the total bandwidth from the kernel, and thus it will have flowed over at 4 GB.

They would need to monitor it every second, and figure out when it overflows.

9. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

If you don't have a LAN setup you can try Ridge or if you do have a LAN, CyberGauge.

10. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I'd like something similar myself, but maybe simpler, that resides on the menu bar and has an accessible menu from there.

11. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I'll check if ipfw has a way to monitor it, then with a simple firewall rule you can monitor the amount of transfer you have done, and then any program can easily grab the information.