Bandwidth Leak?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by BouncingSoul, May 6, 2003.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I don't even know if its possible to have a bandwidth leak so forgive the title. Anyway, Ever since I installed eDonkey2000 a few days ago my net speed has sunk. Even when I'm not downloading or uploading anything it slows down. Just a few minutes ago I ran a test on bandwidth.com and it read 500 and change when ed2k was online but over 1100 when it was off. I don't want to uninstalled ed2k cause you can find lots of stuff that just isn't available on KaZaA and (thanx to ShareReactor) you know its a real file and not some virus infested phony. I guess what I want to know is if its possible for ed2k to suck up that much bandwidth or do you think it something else? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Are you sure that yr downloads dont take that bandwidth away?

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Are you sure e-Donkey is off? I know at least Kazaa has some sneaky background app to keep you online so people can download from you.

4. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

try uninstalling eDonkey and using eMule, its a hell of a lot better and faster IMO

5. BouncingSoul

I know edonkey is off, I can't find it anywhere in my processes tab. I was thinking it was the d/l manager, cause getright went crazy slow but freshdownload hauls along. Maybe I'm just concerned over nothing. As far as emule goes I'll give it a try but will it allow me to use ShareReactors ed2k links ... cause I really like that site.

6. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

have you checked the 'MSCONFIG' when typed in the run command on the start menu? to see if theres any hidden software running on the startup of your computer?

Have you also checked CTRL + Alt + Del 'Windows Task Manager' to see if anythings running there that is unusual?

:cool:

7. BouncingSoul

I've checked it and can't find anything. I also use Regclean to remove anything thats not running at startup.

8. Alex_is_Axel

Alex_is_Axel .:: FTPAlex ::.

tried ad-aware?:huh:

9. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

10. BouncingSoul

I was concerned it was spyware too but adaware doesn't find anything either. I think I'm just going to uninstall edonkey and see if I notice an improvement.

11. BouncingSoul

I got a message from one of the moderators and apparently this is a warez post ... probably cause I mention edonkey. At any rate I disagree but I don't want to cause any problems so please delete this topic.

Thanx