Bad stick of RAM?

Eck

.user
Today, I received another stick of 512 MB Samsung DDR 3200. I popped it in, booted up, all seemed fine, and windows says I have a GB of RAM. http://dellepro.dellhost.com/eck/props.jpg

Various other programs tell me that along with POST. Everything has worked fine today, until a couple of hours ago. I tried opening outlook express, and part of it opened, mainly just the top with a few buttons. The rest was blank. I closed it, opened it again and it did the same thing, except it popped up a message saying "Out of memory" when at the same time, task manager said i had 700 something MB free, as did winbar. Hmm, I closed this buggy irc client I was using, thinking that might be the source of the problems. Sure enough, outlook was fine.

Just now, I tried playing Warcraft III. Everytime it was start it would say something like "Error: The application has a memory fault at 0000010103x340. The memory could not be 'read'." That's not the exact error, but close enough. It also said "write" in place of "read" a couple times. Obviously a memory problem. A couple tries at warcraft III later, it worked. I was playing an online game then suddenly the same thing happened.

Is just a certain area in my memory bad? Windows seems fine. Also, is there some memory checker program that will tell me if it's bad? Could it be my motherboard? Suggestions please.

Is your DDR sticks Matching Pairs? Two different companies of ram in the DDR slots might be your problem. Increase the size of your pagefile as well.

Heeter

Both of the sticks are exactly the same. 512 MB Samsung DDR 3200 cas 2.5. I'll try increasing my page file... but I don't exactly see how that would keep my memory from being read or written.

I just increased the maximum size of the pagefile from 1.5 GB to 2 GB. Then I tried to play Warcraft III and it errored. This time I took a screenshot of the error: http://dellepro.dellhost.com/eck/memerror.jpg

I found some memory test thing, but it has to be run in DOS. I really don't want to reboot right now because obviously I'll lose my internet connection, and lately it's been taking FOREVER to get a good connection. Hmmm.....

Now remove one of the sticks and play the game again, If you get the error, try the other stick. Play "musical chairs" with the ram slots as well as the ram sticks, (one ram stick in different slot). That error is normally attributed to bad ram.

Heeter

yep, that's what I'd do Heeter... the only way to know if one stick or both is problematic is to try them alone in the different slots.. sometimes you just have a bad RAM slot and sometimes it's the stick itself (most likely)..

I'm pretty certain it was a bad stick of memory, so I sent it off for an exchange. Hope my new one isn't defective.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back