Backup Software

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jpom, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jpom

jpom OSNN Addict

I'm looking for software to run an automatic backup every few days.

I have 3 drives in the computer and a 4th IDE removable drive. 2 of the drives need to be backed up completely and the 3rd drive only has various folders that need to be backed up and they all go onto the removable drive. I want to do an incremental backup so that the first time I run it, it will back up everything, and after that I can delete/change/add files and folders and the program will adjust that backup set, I do not want to create a new one with the corresponding changes everytime I run the backup.

I have tried Nero Back-it-up but have found it quite lacking and just a royal pain in the rear, although when it does work properly it does exactly what I want.

I also noticed in past threads that a bunch of folks suggested Argentum Backup. I like this program except for one problem, it won't create seperete folders for each drive (that I've found) If I do a backup job into a folder on the removable drive called "Backup" then everything from all 3 drives gets thrown into that folder, some of the folders on different drives are named the same, so that stuff gets all mixed in together. It jsut causes problems, I suppose that I could do 3 seperate backup jobs, one after another but I was hoping someone here might have a suggestion for a piece of software that will do the job I need done.

So if anybody does have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    James

2. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

Have you tried Windows Backup. It's built into 2000, XP and 2003. It's a cut down version of Veritas Backup and will do the job you are looking it for.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You could also look into SyncBack. It's free, and it does a nice job with incremental backups. :)

jpom likes this.
  4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Norton Ghost 9 is the winner!

5. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Nothing beats Acronis True Image ...

6. jpom

jpom OSNN Addict

Well I ended trying a trial version of Genie Backup Manager:Home version. So far I am impressed, but i think I will look into Syncback since it's website makes it sound almost exactly like this genie software except it's free.

One thing I should have mentioned in my previous post is that while not essential I would prefer a program that has a file-copy mode as oppsed to using a proprietairy (sp) compression format. I don't think windows backup will do that.

Also I have looked into ghost but I don't really want an image of the drive but rather a file backup and I don't think ghost will do that. I have never tried True Image, if Genie or Syncback don't pan out maybe I'll take a look.

Thanks for all the help,
    James