Backdoor Trojan???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by busto, Aug 23, 2002.

1. busto

busto Guest

Hey gang how can i get rid of a Backdoor.Trojan that has infected my syscfg.exe without reformating:(

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I'd check out the Symantec web site for some info on that.

3. busto

busto Guest

I tried that and they say to either repair, quarentine or delete the infected file apparently you can't do any of those things with this file...I really don't want to have to format my HD it took me 35 CD-R's last time i did that:mad:

4. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

One can ask the question why aren't you using any firewall and/or anti-virus software? Second based on what u have said ur pretty much up $h!t creek without a paddle

5. Friend of Bill

I'd bite the bullet and reformat. I couldn't sleep well knowing I had a virus lurking about, ready to take-over my system...

6. chastity

thats true SnookBooger I'd back up anything important and format the thing and when all said and done I'd also make aure the I've got some kind of a firewall and/anti-virus software on the system so I wouldn't have to worry as much

7. Friend of Bill

Anti-virus program most important. Enables a calm and very restful sleep at night with latest virus definitions installed. May I suggest NAV2002...?:D :)

8. chastity

u could but I think I'll stick with my NAV Corp a little bit better in the features department.:D ;)

9. Friend of Bill

Big spender ehh...?

10. chastity

u could say that

11. busto

busto Guest

I use NAV 2002 and Norton Personal Firewall...Thus how i discovered i had a virus

12. chastity

Well since u said u can't clean it or delete it. Thats pretty muchs just leaves format as ur only choice. Well Norton Personal Firewall should have block that from getting on ur system and if it do that it should be blocking from going out. Also what version of the Backdoor.Trojan as there are many versions.

13. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

In major cases NAV2002 is unable to stop virus infect your system , that's why I don't recommend it .

same opinion SnookBooger ..

14. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

Backdoor Trojans is a generic concept. What was the name of the actual virus that infected your computer?

Believe me if you have one of the “active destructive” types you should be formatting you drive now. This includes the deletion and re-construction of all you partitions as some can survive a “format”.

Some are even clever enough to write themselves to disk tracks that all operating systems can’t access or even jump into parts of the BIOS, therefore you will need the manufactures low-level format utility and before doing this re-flash your BIOS whilst there are no hard drives connected to the machine. I’ve just had a similar problem that has kept one of my machines in limbo for two weeks whilst I ordered new BIOS.

I’m not sure even now if it’s gone completely. Viruses are getting very clever indeed.

15. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

either you do system restore or you delete that file under the safe mode, and then make repairing.

16. elderec

elderec Guest

Why is this poor person being told to re-install?
    2 things you could try:
    1. try booting to safe mode & deleting the file.
    2. try disabling windows file protection & deleting the file

just remember to pull a clean copy out of the cabs after you delete it

17. fedele

fedele Guest

I think you have to create a floppy disk with your AV software, some trojans reside in files that can't be accessed because they are used frequently. jus my 2 cents here.

18. Cupid_Stunt

Cupid_Stunt OSNN Addict

Why bother doing a format if it's just a backdoor trojan then simply block it in your firewall.

The trojan is helpless without a connection and your firewall will block it.

regards Cupid

19. busto

busto Guest

I wish Cupid_Stunt and elderec would have posted sooner seeing as I've already reformatted..:( ..no bother though everything is running fine and dandy now