AVG versus Symantec AV 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Elroy Jetson, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

The foced that might be are suggesting to me to change from AVG to Symantec AV 8.1. Can I have any thoughts on system resources, and compatifility with Eudora email client, please? (AVG works great...)

Thanks in advance

EJ ;)

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

SAV 8.1 currently seems to be using around 13MB of RAM and 16.4MB of hard drive space on my laptop (this includes realtime file protection as well as the automatic definitions update service)

As far as I can see, it supports Lotus Notes and Microsoft Exchange, in addition to file system realtime protection. Not quite sure about Eudora compatibility.

Symantec, of course, releases new definitions every weekday in the form of the Intelligent Updater (IU), so it's effective in detecting new viruses. It's a well-known fact, though, that the unpacker of Norton/Symantec isn't too great, so it fails to detect some packed viruses and worms. I know Kaspersky (which is quite resource-heavy AFAIK) can detect those, but I've never used AVG, so I don't know about that.

All-in-all, however, SAV 8.1 is a great AV, and I've been using it for quite a while now. :)

I'm moving this thread to the Security section so that you can get more feedback from some of the pros. ;)

3. john0877

john0877 Guest

thats odd i have norton corporate 8.1 and its using a grand total of like 3.8megs ram and not sure about hard drive space though but i just checked task manager to see the processes running.
    the realtime scanning is nice too especially if you download a lot in kazaa itll pick them up before they are finished downloading in most cases.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What processes did you look at to get 3.8 MB?
    My approximation of 13MB was looking at DefWatch.exe, Rtvscan.exe, and VPTray.exe together, all three of which are components of SAV.