AVG or norton 2002 antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Yharn, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Yharn

Yharn meh.

which would i benefit from the most. I have a copy of Norton systemworks 2002, but don't like the fact that it is a resource hog.

So would i be better off to go with something else? Also I don't have the cash to buy anything new at the moment.

2. o0RaidR0o

o0RaidR0o OSNN Addict

The only thing worthwhile in...

...system works/utilities is speedisk. Of course its always a good idea to have an anti-virus program. If you can get your hands on the corp. edition of NAV get it. With corp. edition you don't ever have to worry about renewing subscriptions. Go to the store and buy a copy

Besides you can't use 2/3's the utilties in system works on XP.

Warez Is Not Permitted: Edited By JJB6486

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Norton AV 2002 does an awesome job of detecting and handling viruses (virii?) I have never had a problem with it not detecting something.

Besides, there are new virus definitions available through LiveUpdate every Wednesday, so detection of new threats is being added every week.

With a 512MB system, I don't see why the 6 MB of RAM that Norton takes up makes it a "resource hog" :huh:

Better safe than sorry is what I believe. As I said, why get rid of something that does it's job almost perfectly?
    Just my opinion...

Cheers!
    NetRyder :cool:

4. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I've said this before, and I'll say it again

if avg cost more money then norton, I would still get avg

at every chance that I have had to compare the two av's, avg found viruses that norton did not.

avg is a much smaller program, and as far as every person I know who has issed both, a beter virus detector

I have

5. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i think yharn answered his own question .....he has no money so he has to the freebie route

sygate ..kerio are also freebie options

i like Norton AV Pro 2003 myself

6. NetRyder

He says he already has Systemworks 2002 ... that includes the antivirus as well :)

7. NetRyder

Is there any chance you remember what virus it was that Norton couldn't detect with the latest definitions?

8. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Some folks like Nortons - others don't - so you'll get the pros and cons from both sides - which isn't all bad.

IMHO - I would take your NSW 2002 and only install the NAV 2002. I have never had NAV let me down - so I am a leery of trying AVG - but everyone's opinion I have come to trust on this site continues to recommend AVG. Maybe - someday!

I was a big fan of NSW - but I feel it just keeps getting $hittier and $hittier. As o0RaidR0o stated - some of the utilities that NSW has do not function in XP and/or there are better choices available - some which come as part of the XP tools.

One other thing, if you enable automatic live update in NAV you will receive any updates immediately that Symantec deems urgent - while the lower priority updates will come on Wed.

So there's my 2 cents worth!

9. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i was responding to the fact he wanted something else :)

with no money you have but 2 routes for a new AV proggie ...lol

10. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I prefer Norton Corporate Edition. Unlike 2002/2003, it doesnt have any automatic updaters or stuff that runs in the background (other then a small realtime scanner), and takes up a lot less memory and resources then the standard consumer version.

JJB

11. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i have the new Corp version but never thought of installing ....may have to give it a whirl

12. Perris Calderon

yes...it was the anna kournakouva virus

13. NetRyder

Norton does detect the Anna Kournikova virus.

BTW, I have AVG installed on an old box with 48 MB of RAM, running 98.
    I agree ... that would crawl with Norton on it.
    Thankfully, I haven't seen AVG in action yet. ;)

14. Perris Calderon

net ryder, I have to be fair, this was about 6 months ago

15. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

One word: AVG.

16. NetRyder

I wouldn't know ... I used to use McAfee (yuck)
    Never going back.

17. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

Let me interject something here - if we are talking about "how quickly" virus definititions are sent out/updated when a new virus is found/determined to be a threat - wouldn't that depend on the company doing the "threat assessment" (for lack of a better term)??

I am sure most, if not all antivirus programs now detect good ole Anna (what a fine looking woman and a nasty trick on us old men) - however which was the first - is that the necessary question??

Perhaps timely is what we are really talking about - more so than best???

I think most antivirus programs are okay once their virus definitions are brought up to date - so perhaps best would depend more on quickness and ease of updated definitions??

Comments???

18. NetRyder

Perfectly true ... and I'm saying I've never had the problem of getting virus definitions late in NAV.

19. Burpster

Burpster Guest

it seems every other day my little notification window pops up with updates for Norton

i wonder if the professional version is better than the regular version of Norton??

20. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

For the home user, if you surf sensibly, then AVG all the way. It is freeware & does its job. What more could you want? :blink: