Automatic updates replacements

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Digdis, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Digdis

Digdis OSNN Addict Political User

Hey folks.
    Thought of replacing the Windows automatic updates with batch utilities that will give me more control of the timing of the updates. Autopatcher seems like a good solution for this purpose. Found some older threads discussing this, but they seem to be a bit out of date, so I would like to hear your opinions.
    D.

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

It really depends on your environment.

If you are in a workgroup or single computer environment, AutoPatcher may not be good because I believe they only update monthly. When the updates are released, you would have to download manually from their site, install the update on your PC and then browse to the folder where the updates are stored. At that point, update your batch file and then run, at least how I see it.

If you are in a domain environment, you have more options. You can use WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) so you can configure/approve patches to your machines. You could also turn off Automatic Updating, and use other network functions to push out the patches.

IMO, if you are doing patching through Autopatcher and Batch files, you are making more work for yourself and if you forget or fall behind, you could leave your PC vulnerable to security flaws.

3. Digdis

This is for my home PC. What about other options other than AutoPatcher?
    D.

4. kcnychief

I suppose I'm still confused as to why you would want to replace Automatic Updates? Maybe if I knew why I could suggest another alternative.

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I wouldn't replace Automatic Updates (AU) or Microsoft Updates (MU). There isn't a method available that does it better than either one of those.

6. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

It seems the ability to choose which update you really need would be a reason. Many of the updates do not apply to all users and may have nothing to do with my current configuration. Why add unnecessary clutter for something that does not apply?

7. kcnychief

I disagree 110%.

If they are critical updates, you should apply each and every one of them. They are not configuration specific, they are Operating System specific. If you don't install certain updates, you leave yourself vulnerable to the flaws they were designed to plug.

If you are talking about the Non-Critical Updates, such as WMP10, .NET Frameworks, etc. simply uncheck them on AU/MU and they won't install.

8. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Bring up system properties (shortcut is windows key + pause/break key) then click on the Automatic Updates tab.

Set updates to Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

AU is still turned on and you will now have control over what updates you download/install.

9. madmatt

AU will only install Critical and Security Updates. When you run Microsoft Update/Windows Update it won't even select updates like WMP10 and .NET Framework, (Recommended Updates and Drivers) you have to manually select those updates.

10. Digdis

OK - Thanks everybody, got the picture.
    Just out of curiosity - whom would you recommend autopatcher for? Sys admins?
    D.

11. kcnychief

I really wouldn't recommend AutoPatcher for anyone, unless they need to do a one-time build of an automated installation CD.

Single Users - AU/MU
    Domains - WSUS.

Preference really.

12. madmatt

To my understanding, AutoPatcher includes all updates released by Microsoft, even those that aren't released to the general public (ones that are designed to specifically fix problems some users may have).

So there is the potential that it will install an update that you may not even need.