Automated update problem A solution!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by xflower, Jan 12, 2002.

1. xflower

xflower Guest

I've found a solution that works wonders!

I guess its an experienced users tip but here it comes (cut and paste from someone called Carey at the ms newsgroup)

Add the following to your "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file:

Note: Your Windows installation maybe located on a drive other than C: , so adjust
    accordingly. Open the "hosts" file with NotePad.

Additional Note: You must enable hidden system files. Open up your Control Panel and
    double-click on Folder Options, then click on the "View" tab, then place a checkmark next
    to "Show Hidden
    Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and "Hide Protected
    Operating System Files", then click on "Apply".

Additional Techniques:

Delete all your Temporary Internet Files.

It's possible the Windows Update ActiveX Control is corrupt. Open IE
    Properties > Temporary Internet Files settings > View Objects and delete
    "Update Class". When visiting the Windows Update site, a new ActiveX
    control for Windows Update will automatically install.

Run Windows Update again and only select and install one update at a time. I know this is
    tedious, but you will get a better success rate.

Now windows finds a working IP before it tries to resolve it in your ISP DNS.

Good luck! (It worked for me and it nearly better then s** :)
  2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

seems to work, don't know which bit because i did both. but thanks.

Not that i wanted anything from the site, i just wanted it to work :)
  3. lapino

lapino Guest

doesn't work here, I already tried different host configurations with different IPs. I suspect more&more a DNS problem with microsoft.

for your information:i can't even ping that IP address. Keeps timing out. I'm from belgium, maybe it only works in the US.
  4. Khayman

maybe it does but i'm in the uk
  5. lapino

lapino Guest

can you PING that IP address? I get timeouts...
  6. Khayman

no, my ping timeout to, but i could dl from the site. so maybe it was the other thing that worked?
  7. lapino

lapino Guest

nope, tried that too
  8. Kryptonic

Kryptonic Guest

w00t w00t w00t!!!!

at last the bl00dy thing works!! woohoooo

i just added the line:

to the hosts list :)

thx dude!!
  9. xflower

xflower Guest

You cant ping any of the microsoft servers it seems. Probably a sequrity manager with a bit of paranoia (like they all have :p)

If you have problems with this URL:

Then the solution is to add the line in the hosts file. Just remember that this is a QUICKFIX. If microsoft updates their IP-range (unlikely) or just move the download stuff to another server, then this wont work any more. And they will probably sort out the DNS problem next week so you realy should remove the line from the hosts file as soon everything is working again.
  10. lapino

lapino Guest

as much as I'd love to have it working, the host-thing does NOT solve my problem :(
  11. Kryptonic

Kryptonic Guest

im currently in the process of downloading all of the Windows XP Home / Pro updates and im going to upload to my own webspace, if you can wait a couple of days ill tell you the URL...