Auto Broadband disconnection?

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Hello, I have a cable connection on my XP home
system, and I was wondering... when I logout
of my user name will it disconnect automatically?
if not is there a setting somewhere to achieve this?

-thank you guys

Logging out of XP doesn't affect your connection to your ISP in the sense that it "disconnects" you. If your computer is on and a network cable is plugged in with an active broadband connection, then your IP can be (and is) pinged.

muzikool said:
Logging out of XP doesn't affect your connection to your ISP in the sense that it "disconnects" you. If your computer is on and a network cable is plugged in with an active broadband connection, then your IP can be (and is) pinged.

oh sorry, what i meant is it connected to the internet? my guess is its not when im logged off my windows name because it always restarts the icon at the lower right onces i login again. but im not sure if that logic is ture of not - thats why im asking here.

Lots of confusion can exist when talking about this in such general terms. It depends on what you mean when you say "connected to the internet." If you were worried about something specific, then it would probably be easier for you to just explain what that is.

In an attempt to clear things up a bit: that network icon showing or not showing does not turn on/off your connection to the internet. That is only a graphical representation of your network status. The usual idea of broadband is "always on," which means it doesn't turn on and off. If you actually want to terminate your network connection when you log off, then you need to disable your network connection. This is not done automatically when you log out. This way, your PC is not sending or receiving packets while you are logged out. Make sense?

The connections will remain up if you log out. Any servers running as services (like web server, ftp server) will still work and so on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back