audio over dvi?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by nod32, May 11, 2008.

1. nod32

nod32 OSNN Addict

I want to run a hdmi cable from the computer to the tv (in the soon-to-be completed basement). I have an 3850, so I will have to use a dvi-hdmi adapter. It just hit me that I'm not going to be able to get audio from that am I?

So that leaves me with optical vs coaxial (from my ds3l). Any personal expieriences with either of these on this board (or recomendations for 30+ ft)?

thanks
    nod32

roirraW "edor" ehT likes this.
  2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I dont think you'll get any sound from your tv by connecting the optical/coaxial cables to it from the pc because the sockets on the tv are only for output to amps/speakers. You'll have to use the speakers on your PC.

3. nod32

nod32 OSNN Addict

Yea sorry, thats what I was getting at. Optical/coaxial to amp

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I like that board... :)
    This Asus board is pee-ing me off. I want Gigabyte!
    Anyhoos... I have used optical and coaxial in the past on Windows XP with my Creative speakers and it worked great... until vista came along. Can't get a damn sound from PC now.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hdmi+audio+over+dvi

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=139226

Read the whole post for more info, but that NewEgg link is what you want. Not even overly expensive, cool.

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

ATI radeon 2000 and 3000 series will put sound over DVI/HDMI for you.

7. roirraW "edor" ehT

Yes, but he needs an ATI DVI to HDMI adapter because the standard DVI connection doesn't include pins for sound, it's not in the specification. So a standard DVI to HDMI adapter won't have these pins either. His 3850 only has DVI out and didn't come with the adapter, therefore he needs that adapter in order to take advantage of the built-in audio.

This special adapter includes ATI's pins for carrying sound, so it will work for what nod32 is looking for. This adapter was made exactly for this purpose.

Even NewEgg's link for that video card that nod32 gave http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129101 says in the Features section "Support for the ATI Radeon DVI to HDMI adapter".

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  8. nod32

nod32 OSNN Addict

I actually have that adapter. It came in the box. The link i gave to the video card, wasn't the exact one i bought. It was the first version 3850 with the original cooler and the adapter was inside. It looks just like this but it's gray.
    So I can send sound over it? That's pretty cool.

9. roirraW "edor" ehT

Yes, it is cool. I remember when I first heard about sending sound through the video card, I was like "what"!? I don't actually use HDMI myself as I have an old projection TV; maybe someday.

nod32 likes this.
  10. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Interesting, I noticed I wasn't getting sound over DVI/HDMI but I don't think I was using the cable that came with my ATI card - I will give it a go tomorrow as I don't have AnyDVD (or whatver it was called) so can't watch Blueray movies on my monitors.

11. roirraW "edor" ehT

Hopefully you both have success.