Audio Conversion Software

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by dere, Mar 14, 2007.

1. dere

dere Forensix Folding Team

Looking for some suggestions for some free or cheap audio conversion software. I need to be able to convert mp4 to wma and wma to mp3. Those are the main things that it must do. I was using Switch as a trail version but the trail ran out and I figured I would see if I could find something free or really cheap. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

4. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

Audacity will do most audio, but I don't know about WMA, but the windows media encoder will do that.

Both free.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Seconded. Worked well the last time I had to do something like this.

6. fitz

As I recall, audacity is more of an audio editor. I think in order to convert, you would have to basically rerecord as a wav/pcm and then reencode as the desired format. It's been a while since I used audacity to do any conversions so it may have changed..

7. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

8. dere

dere Forensix Folding Team

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. fitz

foobar is more of an audio player.. their converter aspect is done through plug-ins and you need to have external encoders. But I agree, it is a great audio player

10. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

it's a player/masstagger/library/transcoder.

there are two things involved when transcoding from one format to another. the DEcoder, that decompresses the audio to an intermediate pcm wav, and the ENcoder, which is in the form of a CLI executable.

the DEcoders are built-in, the ENcoders are external, which is definitely what most users prefer since it makes transcoding very very versatile. no plugins are needed (except for ac3/dts decoding, which are intentionally not included by default since you will only encounter them from dvd sources). :)