ATi 9700 Pro -> ??

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Geffy, May 18, 2004.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I need to trade out my Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card for a GeForce card, as they have better support for FreeBSD and I want to be able to play UT2004 properly in BSD and not have to boot into windows everytime.
    So can anyone recommend a GeForce card which is similar to the 9700 Pro both graphically and performance wise.

Thanx

2. FX 5600 (wild guess) ?

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

My guess would be the FX5800 Ultra. Yes, that's the famous vacumecleaner, windblower etc. I base my thoughts on this chart:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html
    Because the list is old (the benchmark is also based on UT2k3), the fx5700 isn't included. My guess is it would be between the 5800 ultra and the normal 5800, closer to ultra. As you can see, the fx5600 isn't a good choice, a 50% fallback when it comes to frames/s.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

FX 5800 Ultra or later. The 5700 Ultra would be markedly slower.

NOTE: For comparable DX9 performance the 5900 Ultra would be required.

Check the game benchmarks for yourself. The relative perfarmance varies with the game engine used.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Quality of image may also be a dissappointment if you are used to ATI.

Have you tried hounding ATI fro linux drivers?

5. Geffy

cheers for everything so far

LeeJend: ATi do produce linux drivers in the lovely RedHat rpm format, which are of completely no use to me as I use FreeBSD :p and yeah I have tried ranting at them, but I keep getting the same old "Whats BSD" type of response, or the "the rpms are availible" :p

6. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

LeeJend: Somehow I doubt DX9 is really an issue under FreeBSD :p.
    Sorry, I noticed it and had to make a smart remark.

7. Geffy

lol @ Glaanieboy

any ideas on how much I could fetch for a second hand Radeon 9700 Pro card, think I still got the original manual, CD and box and so on
    From checking on retail sites and then undercutting them by £20 it looks like about £100

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I did a quick check for prices for second hand 9700pro's in the Netherlands and I see prices raging from 120 euros (~ 85 pounds) to 160 euros (~110 pounds). So I think 100 pounds with all the original stuff included is fair.

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

for similar performance overall it is recommended you get a 5900SE card and above... it can be flashed to a regular 5900/5900ultra or higher depending on how lucky you get wrt memory...

OGL performance for NV cards is generally better than ati's for similar cards...

10. Geffy

cool, thanks Sazar, was sorta waiting for your expert opinion, also waiting to get the money to get the card as well :p

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

meh... my opinion is anything but expert :D

just been busy doing other things and rather limited in my access to the internet lately :)