AthlonXP 2100+

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mavis, Jan 5, 2002.

1. mavis

mavis Guest

ok this post isn't about a problem, but about my experience with Windows XP Pro and the hardware I'm using...

I unlocked my AthlonXP the other day, and I've been fooling around with multipliers and FSB, trying to find the "perfect" overclock. I managed to get it to AthlonXP 2100+ rating (at that speed, SiSoft Pro gave me a performance rating of 2.312GHz ) - the best part is, I did all of this with air cooling! My load temp (running Prime 95) was 48C! Not too bad, I think...

So, without further ado, here are the specs. I am posting this configuration just to let you guys know that (at least for me) this hardware is working out really well under WinXP, even stressed)...

Antec File Server Case SX-1030 300W PS
    Sunon 80mm case fans x 4
    Antec "Cyclone Blower" PCI slot exhaust

Athlon XP 1800+ (@2100+ 12.5 x 139)
    Dynatron 1206BM-0 solid copper heatsink, Delta 60mm fan
    MS-6380Pro (VIA K7T266)
    512MB PC2100 DDR CAS2
    Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO (@200.3MHz)
    SBLive X-Gamer 5.1
    SMC 1011TX NIC
    Maxtor 30GB ATA100 7200RPM
    Maxtor 10GB ATA100 7200RPM
    Toshiba SD-R1002 DVD/CD-R
    Acer 50x CD-ROM

Windows XP Professional (retail) :)
    SiSoft Sandra Professional

OK so I'm running this configuration stably, my idle temps range from 40C-42C (depends on ambient) and my max load temp is 48C - this, with air cooling! The only problem I'm running into is my kinda wimpy Antec PS - my 5v line drops to about 4.87v at this speed, under full load - so I guess I have to volt mod my motherboard, using that mosfet trick...

Anyway there you go - the system will be complete when I get my Radeon 8500 on Tuesday, but in the meantime it's not too bad... Windows XP rocks! Stable as hell, and the hardware seems to be holding up well too... :)

mavis

2. zman

zman Guest

Do you need a Radiation proof suit to use your PC ...hahaha :D

2.3Ghz is unreal , i bet it takes no time to rip a CD

I have never Overclocked but it looks like i will be soon..... what motherboard have you got ?

3. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I want it...

I want it...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

4. existenz

existenz Guest

holy crap!!!! sweet overclock mavis!!!!!

wow...2.3 ghz...

5. mavis

mavis Guest

thanks guys :) I'm finally proud of system! lol

I am using the base model MS-6380 Pro , the one without RAID and all that other cool stuff... I am using AMI BIOS version 1.7, I also tried 1.6 and 1.6a but none of them display my speed correctly, they jusy post in MHz, rounded up to the next hundred... lol - but, it's stable - if I reduce my multiplier to 11.5 (default), I can push my FSB to 145 stably, although I never actually tried more than that... :) Probably could go higher, I saw in one forum this dude has his up to 166 or something ridiculous like that...

If you do decide to oc though, spend $39 and get the Dynatron 1206BM-0 hsf (has a Delta 60mm) - that thing rocks! Here is a review(this review is the only reason I bought it)

edit: oh yeah I forgot -
    Well I haven't actually tried that yet, but notepad runs well, and Civilization II is ok...

mavis

6. H0TK4RL

H0TK4RL Guest

Very Nice...

You should go post this over at hardforum.com...

-jay

7. MrSlippyFist

MrSlippyFist OSNN Addict

I had no idea Ripping was CPU extensive until I read this post and tried it lasr night... I ripped at 25.6max... Never did that until the new CPU...

I died during burning though and have'nt gotten back up yet...

hmmm... who am I logged in as?