Athlon 64/FX

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OTE, Sep 20, 2003.

1. OTE

OTE Guest

Around christmas time, probably just after I hope to do a long term upgrade with my computer as i am going to uni next year.
    The plan is to buy a Athlon 64 motherboard that will last for hopefully 2 years or so, i know i need new ram, the only thing is whats the difference between the Athlon 64 and the Athlon FX.
    Other upgrades will follow close to uni time i.e. vid card, sound card(if needed) etc.

Regards

OTE

2. dubstar

dubstar format c:

you sure you dont want to wait a few months until the Athlon 64 motherboards are revised. Following the Athlon64 could be a whole new breed of motherboard add-ons.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Waiting is good advice.

There is no 64 BIT operating system so we should all be cowering in fear of buying anything waiting for Microshaft to announce that the "new 64 BIT operating system will require certain hardware features not available in the first release MBs" or CPU masks.

Think I'm paranoid? Well, yes I am, but ask an old fart to tell you all about Windows and the 333 Mhz limit.

Ok, I'll give you a hint. When the K6 generation CPU's passed 333 Mhz everyone found out there was a bug in Windows timing. The OEM manufacturers passed out a Windows patch that allowed people to run the 333+ CPUs but anyone who owned a retail version of Windows was screwed. You had to upgrade to the latest version of Windows for $95 or return your new CPU and hope you got a refund.

This was solely a Windows bug that M$ refused to fix and had nothing to do with the CPUs. I know because it happened to me and I got to talk to all the tech support people at M$ and AMD.

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

From what I've read in the news is that the Athlon 64 is the Athlon 64, but the Athlon FX is based on the earlier versions of the single Opertron processor with less cache(can't remember how many pins it has though).

As for a 64-bit OS, MS is currently developing one specifically for the AMD64 processors. However, there has been no news on this topic except for a few annoucements made by AMD on their website.

MS has released their original 64-bit OS for Itanium2, but guess what?! It doesn't support dvd playback; cd writing; and many other essential features that 99.9% of what home users use on a day to day basis.

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'm fairly interested in getting the Gigabyte K8NNXP mobo, which has DPS (dual power system), nForce3, SATA; IEEE1934; 2x RJ45 (Dual LAN (1 @ 10/100; a @ 1000mbps))

EDIT: sorry, it's IEEE1934b, NOT IEEE1934.
    Basically the IEEE1934b has 800Mbps bandwidth instead of the 400Mbps from the first release.

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Well acctually it's 1394. ;)

And as for OS, Linux and BSD are 64-bit ready, aren't they?

7. Kvasi

Kvasi Guest

Re: Re: Athlon 64/FX

Do you need DVD-playback on SPARC/UltraSPARC or Alpha CPU's?
    You don't need it on the Itanium series neither.

HP-UX will come for Itanium 2 soon and as 98% of all Itanium system are sold by HP and that IA-64 originated from PA-RISC(HP), I think that HP-UX will be standard on those servers.
    Itanium isn't supposed to be used for home right now.
    There is no architecture comparable to the one used in the Itanium series so don't expect too much.

Well, back on topic.
    I would wait to buy any of the AMD64 hardware, the market might be slow at the beginning since there is no Windows version for AMD64 yet.

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

No, IEEE1934 (the original) is only 400mbps

9. 03bigMark03

03bigMark03 Guest

Hehe get the Apple Mac G5 or what ever it's called, thats all meant to be 64bit.

10. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the g5 sucks...

its not near as good as apple makes it out to be...

11. Kvasi

Kvasi Guest

Still, it's 1394 and not 1934.

12. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

right.. typing error. sorry :eek:

13. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

go over to www.overclockers.com

ed has been writing some good articles on the Athlon 64/FX

the Athlon FX will be the fastest of the bunch....

14. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I find it funny how most AMD supporters are always stressing about Intel and Price, yet they are willing to dish out probably close to $700 for a processor that hasn't been tested and has no feasible home software that supports 64-bit technology.

15. Sazar

it will be fast... but the new pentium 4 coming out with additional cache will offer some resistance...

amd needs to be able to scale rapidly if they want to compete with prescott when it drops..

naturally there will be a market... but in day to day operations... intel is the current leader and will continue to dominate unless some of the clock speed gulf is closed..

16. Sazar

it is essentially a stripped down opteron... and opterons are doing extremely well...

the desktop version will not have to be as stable as a server cpu... remember... :)

these processors are engineered to run 32bit apps just as well as 64bit apps... therefore the market for them is well established in the present... and in the future...

17. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I have doubts about the 32-bit softwares running at optimum speed on the new processor though. Think running them on a 64-bit machine will be wasting a bit of juice since the machine itself won't be running at full capacity.

18. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yeah that was my point. Nothing else. :)

19. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey