Athlon 2000 xp+ safe temp?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Doom, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

I was wandering what the highest tempreture for an athlon 2000 would be. I've been told that it's around 70c before it melts. Mine is currently running at 60-62c. How can I get the temp down a bit?

2. deadearth

deadearth Guest

From what I understand 60-62 degrees c is perfectly acceptable for an athlon. On that processor you should only worry if it gets up to about 85 or 90.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

depends on if it's a palomino or thoroughbred, too. palomino's generate more heat and, ironically, have a lower threshold.

4. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

- New cooler . U own an now an .. ?

5. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

Cheers folk's. I desided to hoover the pc out. I took the fan off the heat sink and hoovered the dust out and all the other fans (including the system fan). The cpu temp is now 52-55. Much better. It's a thoroughbred by the way.

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

The highest temp limit for most CPUs is around 90C, but as usual, you'll find that if a CPU is over 65C it affects the performance slightly. It's usual to find that most computers run at a temp of anywhere between 35-65C depending on how each individual has configured their system(s).