Assistance concerning AV Programmes

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DeeBeeS, Nov 26, 2007.

1. DeeBeeS

DeeBeeS OSNN Addict

I have been told by my ISP that Broadband is now available for my area. This system will be 'always on' and not dialup. I have decided because of this to upgrade my security on my computer.

I have installed Sunbelt Firewall-AVG Free-Windows Defender and Spybot. Is this sufficient or is it to much or not enough and will these programmes slow down my computer? I also understand that the router supplied has a firewall.

Thanks for any help given.

David

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

have not used subelt - so cant say - all the other stuff should be enough, would also suggest hijackthis! , this will show you and enable you to stop things from starting when your pc starts :)

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You can use Windows Defender to enable/disable startup items.

My opinion: Windows Defender is enough. There is no need for a second malware only application. Most good AV products also check for malware now.

I have no opinion on the AV program, though.

4. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

5. DeeBeeS

DeeBeeS OSNN Addict

Thanks to all for that information, much appreciated. I think I will stay with what I have at the moment as I have paid for the better programes and see how it goes.

6. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If you dont want to pay for AV software avg is really your best bet, but ESET nod32 or kaspersky would be your best bets for a paid subscription.