*Applications Failing Left and Right*

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by koko, Nov 13, 2003.

1. koko

koko Got Root?

hopefully all you ntfs.org gurus can help me out with a recurring problem...

several weeks ago, i noticed that applications (IE, OE, photoshop 7.0, steam, etc.) started failing (window accouncing that "this program has encountered a problem and needs to close" pops up). sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

i'm behind a router with a built-in firewall and i have avg anti virus (fully updated) running constantly. i've done 2 virus scans in the last 2 days and have come up clean.

i recently purchased another stick of ram. could this be the problem?

just wondering if i should look elsewhere first instead of testing the ram out.

*specs in case they're needed: amd 1.53ghz, 1.5gb sdram (3 sticks of 512mb - one is new as mentioned above), sndblaster live 5.1 gamer, gf fx 5600 ultra 128mb, 40gb western dig, 80gb western dig, linsys nic, 16x dvd, 12x hp 9500 cdrw.

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

This doesn't seem to be something that would be virus related. I would highly suggest removing the new stick of RAM and testing out the apps, because that is a pretty major change that could cause these problems. It doesn't make sense to wait and test this if in fact it turns out to be the problem.

3. koko

koko Got Root?

rgr. sounds like a plan. i was planning on testing the ram, but was just wondering if i should try something else first.

i'm gonna remove that new stick and see what happens. thnx for your input.

4. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Sure thing. I figure you may as well test the RAM since there's a good possibility that's the problem, before going through the headaches of other tests that give you no results. :)

5. koko

koko Got Root?

i took out that stick and guess what....problems cleared up immediately.

needless to say, that stick is on it's way back to the RMA center. hopefully in a few weeks, they'll send me a free replacement.

6. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today