Apple Sales Leap 75%

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by muzikool, Jul 14, 2005.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Wow.

Full Story

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

damn, it would be good to own apple stock [​IMG]

3. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

It'll be real interesting to see what happens when the fad dies.

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Revenue increased, not sales :)

But Apple has been doing well with their niche products and have proven that if you make something and make it good, the people will buy it.

5. muzikool

I should have caught that, but then at the time that was the headline of the story. :squareeye

6. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

i bought a 20gb ipod photo on sunday :p
    thats probably why their sales went up hehe

7. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

I know the thread is wrt iPod sales/revenue; but it will be interesting to see what happens when Apple moves it's computers over to Intel...

On the one hand, some die hard Mac fans might be less then pleased (the whole Mac vs. PC argument). On the other, this could bring in interest from others...

8. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Must be because them iPods cost roughly $400 bucks and the battery replacement costs a bit also. Not including all the accessories and such. Yeah I can see how they are generating so much revenue. :p

*runs*

9. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

:laugh:

Clevah !!!

:lick:

10. muzikool

A majority of the accessories are 3rd-party, so those wouldn't affect the company's revenue.

11. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Apple's are over priced I prefere Oranges

12. gonaads

13. albybum

albybum Penguin Rancher

I just bought an IPod a week ago. :)

14. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

PC = Personal Computer

Since when is a Mac or a Wintel not a PC? They both do the same thing. Serve as a personal computer. No, the diehard Mac fans will be disappointed as they believe the POWERMAC chip compared to x86 runs faster, and does more per clock (something which is true. Intel performs on avg .6 operations per clock, AMD does an avg of .9 operations per clock, and IBM does .95, source: Mac Cast's Mactel logs).

I don't like Intel for certain things, but it is an awesome move with potential. AMD might accomplish more per clock, intel is the one that can produce, and even has the money to stick to one clock speed, and improve their instructions per clock ratio. Move away from the Mhz myth.

15. X-Istence

Yup, you pay a certain price i believe to be listed there. Like the Agent 18 minishield costs $20 if i buy it from the Apple Store, and it costs $20 when i buy it from www.agent18.com . Apple does not get a cut of those sales. They only get paid to be listed i believe, but even that may be wrong, they may just be nice, and have added the section to help people find what they need.

16. gonaads

Well isn't that what AMD has been trying to do for a while now?

Funny how Intel still hasn't done that yet but AMD has been the one to make the strides.

17. X-Istence

Yes, i was suggesting it towards the fact that people believe everything is about Mhz and how it would then seem that a POWERMAC chip would seem bad compared to the latest and greatest intol

Intel has been doing this. Their 800 lineup has been stuck at the same 3.2 Ghz for the last few revisions, as they have made changes to the way it works, so get more instructions per clock out of it. That was the really interesting thing about listening to the Mac Cast podcast Mactel logs. It provided indepth review of what Intel chips are coming out, and when, and how fast and efficient they are.

18. gonaads

What gets me is how the Mac has always seemed to adress temp issues quite well when it comes to their machines. It will be interesting to see how it will fair with Intel Hibachi's inside. :p

19. Son Goku

:eek: My browser crashed when I was replying. Anyhow...

/backs slowly away... :)
    /me thinks I stepped in something here :eek:

PC is also a term used, synonimous with x86... It can be used in either context :D

I do see some being displeased, but whatever the case. I'd rather not argue symantics :suprised:

Oh, and just for the record, I own an AMD processor, not an Intel.

/runs and hides :speechless:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  20. Son Goku

It probably has a lot to do with the DEC engineers that AMD managed to soak up after Compaq canned the Alpha in moving to IA-64. That and the former partnership AMD had with Digital.

Anyhow, if we're gonna talk about instructions per clock (something I have personally discussed in the past), then this is the bad boy I wouldn't mind seeing. AKA, what would have been the Alpha 21464 or the EV8.

There is some info still online, such as this article here...

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?articleid=RWT122600000000

Unfortunately, another PDF which the engineers from Digital put out, which they were elsewhere describing as an IA-64 killer (in comparing what they were planning on, with the IA-64 platform)...

http://www.alphapowered.com/presentations/alpha_ia64.pdf

This is as much as I can salvage (as I cited this much by email several years back)

Anyhow, the engineers who were behind this project and these sorts of ideas, were the same one's AMD managed to soak up; who could then contribute to AMD's own advancements...