Apple G5 faster than all competition - According to Apple.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sazar, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

We should all buy G5's NOW apparently.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Excellent. Now Apple has demonstrated what none of us knew before. A64's are miraculously SLOWER than p4's in tasks and G5's are 200% faster.

:cool:

There is a reason I despise Apple's PR. And I think its plain to see.

Their test suite

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

opps was looking at the opertons, thought thats what the 64's that were on there

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

well anyways those are dual xeons, and the amd 64 are single cpu's i would like to see a dual processor amd 64 setup 3500+ i bet it would rape the intels

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Wasn't this claim made ages ago when G5 hit the market?

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Oh joy. Raw flame bait. Who gives a ****e if it's the fastest, so long as it does what you want it to?

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Good for them. [​IMG]

7. Sazar

Apparently Apple gives lots of *'s bout it :D

They conducted, published and host the results init?

8. Xie

No different then when MS, Intel, AMD, ATi, nVidia, ect. do comparisons - they have a product to sell and are all going to come out on top. ;)

9. Sazar

Yes but they all compete on the SAME playing field.

10. Xie

Agreed. I'm just saying when you have a company do it's own testing it's rare they come in anything but 1st, yet they all do them.

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

thing is we know for a fact that if you're not goting to play games you use an intel, if you want to play games youo use an amd if you want to be different and pay the price you use apple.

If apple didnt cahrge a ridiculous premium on simpler, inferior, proprietary hardware then they would have a much greater chance of increasing their market share and thus what you can get for pcs you could get just as easily for macs and vice versa.

Apple is just dumb, until they realise that its pointless owning a mac.

We know the powerpc architecture is powerfull - look what IBM did for the playstation3, but by the same token look at the performane from Sun's Ultrasparc processors you're average pc couldn't hold a torch to them nor could your average g5.

At the end of the day if its not an independant real-world test its useless to base your judgement on it.

12. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

In video editing and encoding tasks Pentium 4's are generally a bit faster than equivalent AMD64's, however, i fail to see how Apple's G5 can be that much faster than a Dual Xeon 3.6. Just wait till the P4EE Dual-cores with HT come out - then Apple will have to go back to the drawing board:p

13. Xie

They seem to be picking up some steam lately. :p

14. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 OSNN Junior Addict

They should have tested the G4s and G5s vs the latest AMD/Intel DCs or the AMD 64 FX 57, and see how well they score against them in gaming benchmarks... you'll be surprised at how porely the Apples score.

15. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

This topic is bent. Wooooo lets all debate over silly things... like OMG OMG OMG I LOVE THE GREEN JELLY BABIES! LIKE OMG OMG OMG RED ONES SUCK! because in the end, debating Jelly Babies is much more productive than what seems to be debating over computer specs, when a few years down the line, computer companies will have out new soft/hardware and will be comparing them.

Who cares.

16. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Apple has done it before, and will do it again as far as marketing. I highly doubt the Apple processor performs THAT much better if at all better then Dual Opterons, or Dual P4 Xeons.

But hey, as stated above, "Oh joy. Raw flame bait. Who gives a ****e if it's the fastest, so long as it does what you want it to?"

17. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

You don't choose between a mac and a pc based on performance. It's preference and what suits you best. Whenever I have a few years of work in me I will end up having a pc and a mac in my house but they will be used for completely different things.

I won't be comparing whether one does things faster than the other. They are just suited for different segments of the computer market.

18. Sazar

It's a flip-flop between amd and intel wrt encoding and other tasks. Pre a64 I would not have brought it up but there is a much smaller gap than before now.

19. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

20. Sazar

Wow, the opteron owneth them all. :eek:

Nice results across the board.

The intel and apple procs seem to be pretty close in performance but even the dual core setup from intel seems to be nosing ahead.