Appending data to file2 from file1

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Lighter, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

Ya'll gonna think I'm nuts because I'm trying this without the use of a true database.:confused:

I need to read data from one file (.txt or .dat) parse the data by field name and append to another file (.xls preferably, but .txt will do).

Resources: One local machine, no ASP, no PHP, no SQL --and no internet connection. :happy:

Why? Basically to see if I can do it and how (which I'm unable to so far).

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You're nuts! :p

So you're going to do this in what? Web interface? Javascript can't use files. VBScript can afaik.

3. Lighter

Lighter . . . . . . . . .

Re: Re: Appending data to file2 from file1

Yeah so I've hit a brick wall. Got more important things to tinker with at work, but I'll solve this idiotic riddle I've presented myself with. :)

4. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

install php you ph00l.

6. swmr

swmr Guest

7. cozmo911

cozmo911 Guest

Is this a web interface? If so, you are going to need some kind of server-side language.

If its an application on the local machine, just use C# or VB or something. You can use C++ if you like, but using COM objects in C++ is terrible.

You can just use the Jet 4.0 OleDB provider. With that you can read from comma deliminated text files, and also write a new Excel spreadsheet.

Read into it. If you need sample code, just ask. Though I will most likely give you C# (as its my preference).