Apache and .asp files

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gmagnuson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

Hi, I installed Apache(PHP-Triad) in hopes of using it as a local server to test websites before they are published, but my problem is the website I currently want to test is out of asp. It will not reconoginise the asp files, it just pulls them up as text. What can I do? Thanks!

2. sacred2nite

sacred2nite Guest

I also need help with this. Does anyone know if i can install asp support on XP home edition?

Thanks

3. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

ASP is a Microsoft thing, youd need to run IIS and use that to be able to run ASP files.

A language that competes very much with ASP is PHP, mabey check that out :).

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

5. X-Istence

Apache ASP is not all that fast, and doesnt always work as expected.

6. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

Ok, I went blank. What is IIS, and I am using Windows XP Pro.

The reason I am not using PHP is because the website is already designed, and I just have to make a few minor modifications.

7. sacred2nite

sacred2nite Guest

I already have php on my computer but I need asp to test a web site I am creating at college. I am creating it using FrontPage ( :( ) and I need asp support to feed info from a registration page, into a database.

8. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

ok, I found IIS-Under Control Pannel, Add and Remove Programs, Windows Programs. But now how do I use it? Where is my "root directory?" Thanks!

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
    You can set the options for it in control panel>administrative tools>Internet information Services.

10. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

I copied my files into it and how do I open the website? I clicked on my default.asp file and it still comes up with just text.

11. X-Istence

12. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

It says unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 when I try to start IIS. I made sure I shut off Apache.

13. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

I think I got it working. Thanks! I just had to change the port number.