AOL surpass themselves once again...

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Andy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Andy

Andy Meep.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Shame, the AiM network is a good one (The client's awful though) I've always had much less issues with it than MSN Messenger for example.

It's a good job the new version of iChat supports Jabber :)

3. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

4. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

i dont really care, i dont say anything exciting in IM's so they can spy all they wish :eek:

5. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

sounds like someone wants alittle bed time reading :p

6. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

thats crazy that AOL woud do that. it doesn't bother me though. as long as they aren't releasing my convo's to the public then im alright. and i've never had as many problems with aim than i have had with msn

-bibble

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Everyone should dump this junk and move over to Skype. Nothing would make me happier. :D

8. SPeedY_B

Until Skype offers the same functionality on all platforms, it won't happen. Plus the text based messages on Skype is rather ugly at the moment (doesn't bother me, but it sure puts a lot of people off).

It would be nice to have a unified multi-platform messaging protocol though.

MSN: Great on Windows, Stinks on Mac, Doesn't exist on *nix.
    AiM: Official Client sucks hard, and now privacy issues.
    Yahoo: haha.
    Jabber: Best alternative at the moment, bit daunting for the average user though.

9. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Does this apply to ICQ as well? I know aol(notice no caps) bought ICQ out, so I was just wondering if this was for ICQ as well?

10. NetRyder

I really like Jabber (XMPP), and there are some slick clients out there for it.
    But until it supports audio/video, I don't think I could make it my primary IM client. That's the reason I still use MSNM most often. Just waiting for Skype to support video that's as good as their audio. That will be the day. :)

11. SPeedY_B

Personally, I currently use IRC for the real talk, MSNM for idle banter and because "everyone else does", AiM because iChat is pretty :p and I've just this second installed a jabber client and am now a Jabber user (purely in prep for using iChat in Tiger and not utilising AiM).

I'd like to use Skype a lot more, but at the moment, no one else I know does, and one of my major gripes is that contacts aren't centrally stored. So when I installed it on my iBook, my contacts (both of them :D :p) were absent. I'm unsure if that's a problem with the OS X client, or with the network of whatever.. but it's quite annoying.

12. NetRyder

I'm going to add a link to the TOS in my AIM profile. :p
    Let's see if at least something like this will finally make some of my AIM-loving contacts move to something better...I don't even care what it is, since I have and use MSNM, Skype and Jabber.

By the way, the Skype contact list issue has been fixed. Contact lists should be sync'd in the next release.
    http://www.skypejournal.com/blog/archives/2005/03/contact_list_pr.php

13. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Good idea net...i am gonna go the same :)

14. SPeedY_B

My current contact lists:

AiM: 37
    MSNM: 46
    Jabber: 1

There's still time for Jabber and Skype to catch up :D

15. NetRyder

Unfortunately, the number of people on my AIM contact list (using Trillian, just for reference) is far greater than the number of people on my MSNM contact list. Back when I was in India, everyone used MSNM. On the other hand, almost everyone here in the U.S. seems to use this abomination called AIM. :p

Well, in any case...rather than linking directly to the TOS (which most people probably won't bother looking at), I'll be linking to this blog post that I just wrote. Explains things a little better to newbies and offers some suggested alternatives too. Time to shoot out some emails and add the link to the AIM profile. :)

16. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Odd very odd. I think they will listen to certain known persons and their conversations rather than the ordinary man, woman or child.

[edit]I was thinking further about it, and well, lets think, maybe they use speech recognition software on their servers, which is triggered by keywords in many languages then the record button starts.[/edit]

17. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

We did months ago it's the only thing we use now,even got the family on it too so there's no more phone bills :laugh:

18. Ferral_Imp

Ferral_Imp Moderator

I say a bunch of us sign up for AIM accounts and start talking weird crud on im.

19. SPeedY_B

Achieving what? I'm sure they have enough 12-year olds, and actual AOL users on their network talking complete ****e that any more gibberish wouldn't accomplish much difference :p

Anyway, small update: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/14/0138215

20. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

AiM: 1
    MSNM: 79
    Jabber: 0