AOL and internet sharing

bluban

OSNN One Post Wonder
i have small home network using as follows;both comps have xp sp2,network setup correctly to share files etc,a 5 port ethernet hub and a host comp using AOL 9 (gold)using a voyager105 usb modem ethery thing has been updated driverwise on both comps,my network card has the ip addy 192.168.0.1 the other comp has its ip as 192.168.0.2 subnet set to standard

problem is i can no way get the othe machine to connect to the net either via AOL software or IE plz help as this is driving me nuts,just wen i think i have it well the rest is history

Welcome to the forum.

AOL has a history of single user/single machine connections meaning that they don't like customers sharing the internet connection with anyone but the subscriber him/herself. There is, however, one method around this - and that is to use a wired/wireless router with a built-in modem as the device automatically connects to the server without the need of the AOL software.

Another way around this is to ditch AOL whom in my opinion do not even like their users to have internet access in the pure form - as an ISP they restrict so much the service you get is sub standard (MTU, ISP overhead et al)

Mainframeguy said:
Another way around this is to ditch AOL whom in my opinion do not even like their users to have internet access in the pure form - as an ISP they restrict so much the service you get is sub standard (MTU, ISP overhead et al)

Im gona have to agree here. yet the still have a cult following. ( my father is one of them) the insist that its easier to use but in fact in my opinion its a horrible horrible thing.

Ming is most correct in what he says. i have a Belkin wireless router, and I can have all six computers linked into AOL (9) at the same time with no complications whatsoever.

As some of you are ever so anti-AOL, there is absolutely no need to sign on to AOL with this set-up, as you can sign on to the web as normal via IE.

I have had no problems with the service and speed to date (Belkin router can be a wee bugger at times)

Yep, learn to use a pc and get rid of AOL. They are more trouble than help ... What was said is rigt. They don't allow any sharing unless all parties are AOL customers, and their service nothing but substandard BS Garbage ..

tibboh said:
...I can have all six computers linked into AOL (9) at the same time with no complications whatsoever.

As some of you are ever so anti-AOL...

I've actually repped you for this post - I think it gives us a nice heads up that whilst AOL do represent problems to us that know what we are doing there could be a valid need for that they offer - I am going to stick my neck out and guess that you have some users on those six computers who think AOL is "better than the internet"?

Reason for my repping? We should not be prejudiced anti-AOL, rather informed, and tiboh has done that. It should be possible to do what the poster asked and he has confirmed that - of course poster may still need help - and I suspect AOL will be less than forthcoming, this is one of the areas where we start having issues because they gear themselves up to serve the PC illiterati, not geekdom. But let us remain aware here that from a business POV AOL are well aware which of those two groups is in the majority in the world at large! :)

thanks for the reps, mainframeguy - I signed onto AOL years ago and it is probably more hassle to drop it what with the deal I get now. Just to mention u are thinking of migrating gets you a better and better deal money wise each year (I am assuming not many ISP's will do that).

I am well aware of all the bad points that the members of this forum point out towards AOL, (much of it justified, but in my family's case the advantages outshine the disadvantages) but in the end its a personal choice and as long as you have the opportunity to make an informed choice, then power to the people.

Anyway, it is only a programme and like most things in life, I use it to my advantage and if and when I find that this ISP does not give me what I want - I will change.

Regards

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back