anyway to install old games into windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mckinnon2, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mckinnon2

mckinnon2 OSNN One Post Wonder

I'm not very computer savvy, please help! I have windows XP and a lot of older games. When I try to install them - the installation freezes up. I get a message that says "Please install using windows 95 or windows 98". I tried contacting Microsoft and they told me to contact the manufacturer of my computer. They refered me here. Is there anyway to install an old game on windows XP?

Note- thank you all for your help, as of 12 Aug, I finally got the old game to load.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you can use application compatibility should nudge most of your games into installing.

4. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

True.dat Copy the contents of the CD to a new folder on your harddrive, click on the setup file and choose to run in compatability mode.

5. mckinnon2

thank-you for your responses, but as I said, I'm not very computer savvy - so how do I "run in compatability mode?"

6. yalooze

yalooze OSNN Addict

as Steevo said, copy the entire contents of the cd into a folder on your harddrive, then right-click on the setup file (possibly setup.exe or gamename.exe) and click 'properties' go across to the compatibility tab and tick 'run this game in compatibility mode for:' i usually find setting the drop down box to 'windows 98 / windows me' works. Then click apply and try installing the game again, by double clicking on the setup file. If this doesn't work you can always try changing the drop down box to 'windows 95' clicking apply and then trying the setup file.

If compatibility mode still doesn't help, you may want to try some sort of dosbox but then again, I might just be confusing you ^_^ You would only use dosbox, for really old dos games, compatibility mode should usually cure your problems.

7. mckinnon2

sorry I'm such a computer ditz - I understood most of your directions, but how do I copy the CD to a folder on my hard drive?

8. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Explore the CD contents.
    CTRL-A, CTRL-C
    Open a new folder in your C drive.
    CTRL-V

9. mckinnon2

I'm sorry, I don't understand this response.

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

those are key presseses.

look at the cd drive in explorer. click in the right hand frame, hold control and press a, hold control and press c.

click on your c drive on the left, right click in the right pane and choose new then folder.

Type a name for said folder.

double click said folder

hold control and press v

go grab a coffee.

11. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

The link that LeeJend posted has a pretty detailed description on how to set everything up including how to setup compatability mode...

also, if you have VERY old games (80's and/or early 90's era games) that you want to run, you can look at running DOSBox