Anyone Heard of ECS Brand

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lancer, Apr 25, 2005.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

and is it any good?

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I've had ECS products before, and they've been fine. In fact, my sister has my old XP 1700 with an ECS motherboard in her computer.

3. jpom

jpom OSNN Addict

ECS = Elite Group. I consider them to be more of a value or budget board. I use them in almost any budget PC I build because of their cost <$50 with with onboard sound, video (Shared), LAN. I have never had any real problems with them, nothing more then the usual anyways.

They might have "Higher End" boards as well, but I've never used anything except their cheaper models. Not sure I would use one in a hight end game system for example but for those people that are just using office and checking email they should be fine.

James

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I have 3. The sound crapped out on the first one after never being very good to begin with. The second one works ok. I retired it because it did not support the faster FSB speeds.

The third is my gaming system which I have been running overclocked for the past year at 382 on a 333 BARTON. On this board the voltage and MB temperature sensor never worked right.

ECS MBs are not very feature rich and support is poor.

Unless it is one hell of a deal I'd not recommend an ECS. And BTW PCChips is the same brand. I have one from a friend and the Bios reads as an ECS.

5. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

thanks for the help, i think i'll stay clear then.

6. Yharn

Yharn meh.

I had an ECS K7S5A motherboard for a few years and had little problems, but I had a friend that had an identical system to mine and he had nothing but problems. I would stay away unless it is a deal that can't be passed up as LeeJend mentioned above.

7. CoasterCowboy

CoasterCowboy NTFS Junkie

Still use a PC with a ECS K7S5A motherboard, has been running with no problems for 3 years, not the best board but at the time it was cheap.

8. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

ECS for me have been great, for a budget building workstation. Not for nothing else. Never had one go RMA on me, must of built about 100-some machines for clients in the last few years.

Good all-in-one budget workstation board.

Heeter

9. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

i had a ECS board and it was my backup computer. i would go with something else because their bios drivers don't get updated frequently

10. Yharn

Yharn meh.

If you are looking for a budget board check out ASROCK. I got a socket A KT600 board with all the features you'd expect from a nice board for $30 and have had zero problems. Have been very impressed with them.

11. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

ECS = ok - see a fair few of them through for refurbishing computers - seldom is it the mobo that died, so they go out again OK, not too hard to get drivers for either, so they work for me (then again I stopped buying gear years ago now... it just comes to me and they have to pay for me to take it away!)

12. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

13. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I was going to come in and say that I had a decent experience with them several years ago, but apparently I already have :laugh:

14. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

I did not have a good experience with a motherboard from them.

15. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Wow, I didn't realize how old this thread was until Leejend mentioned his 'gaming' system running a Barton core... haha wow that brought back memories! haha

16. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I just retired a Barton system in April :(