any wasy to get ready boost selected by default?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

so it seems you have to select "speed my computer" every time you stick in the flash, anyway to get it to "do this every time"?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

not that I've seen or looked for

3. Perris Calderon

now this is really bizarre lord;

I have been doing a search and can't find anyone who came up with a solution as yet

BUT

I have two boxes, one the flash asks for a decision every time, the one I am on now wouldn't ask me no matter what I did, I turned it off, turned it on, removed hardware, turned everything off in control manager and even turned the service off and then on in services.msc

then it occured to me to look at perfmon and sure enough the readyboost is working on this box even though I have removed and put it back in any number of times without it asking what it wants me to do

I am perplexed

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you need to reboot after turning readyboost off for the change to take effect.

5. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Not sure I understand.

The way Readyboost operates is typically by having flash memory with the requisite read/write levels attached to the device. Are you disconnecting and reconnecting this repeatedly?

There is, as far as I know, software installed on the flash device and a script that runs to enable readyboost ergo you will NEED to re-enable it everytime.

Alternatively, don't disconnect the memory everytime :)

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I just shoved my readyboost drive in the back of the computer and leave it alone :D

7. Perris Calderon

TIZ a laptop and the thumbdrive protrudes, it does indeed need to be dsconnected each time I put it in teh case

8. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

Perris, just stick in the thumb drive after the boot screen, before logon..