Another win 7 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Bucky Badger, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

I want to get win 7. I can get the upgrade for 30.00. I have Win XP upgrade, and a Win XP OEM. Both are 32bit. With the Win7 upgrade can I do A fresh install of it? Can I order 64bit or do I have to stay with 32bit.

2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

When upgrading from XP you have to do a clean install and you can choose 32 or 64.

3. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT Builder/Installer

Yes, you can use a "7" upgrade DVD to clean install. You'll have to google for it. I believe it was posted how on Tom's Hardware.

4. American Zombie

Huh?

You had to jump through hoops for Vista but with Win 7 you can just boot from the DVD and install even with upgrade media.

5. roirraW "edor" ehT

I was mistaken about it being on Tom's Hardware, but here's the info I had spotted a few days ago at bink.nu. Original and full article at Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows.

Another link to information regarding doing this at My Digital Life.

The article is much too long and detailed (with screenshots) to bother quoting here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  6. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

even the bit of paper that comes with 7 tells you to do a fresh install if you are using xp

7. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

You "ALWAYS" do a fresh install with windows os's- "NEVER" an upgrade. No matter what version they are .

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

Guys, all he wanted to know was IF he could do a clean install of Win 7 x64 with a Win 7 Upgrade DVD:

9. Dark Atheist

simple answer no - upgrade disk requires a base system to be installed over, and we also informed him its best to do a clean install as it would be better for him, just because we may give more info than what is asked does not mean it is wrong to do so

Also from the link it says "After performing the clean install" - clean install with what, there is no way to do a clean install with an upgrade disk, sounds to me the clean install her refers to is using the upgrade disc on a system that has had no updates installed, bit misleading i feel

10. roirraW "edor" ehT

I only said it that way because nowhere did he say he was interested in even attempting an Upgrade Install, or that he thought one would work, so it just seemed weird to me that you and Johnny were telling him that he shouldn't do one. I'm not trying to squash opinions or information, it just seemed to me that you two had misunderstood his question.

Why do you say that there isn't a way to do a clean install with an upgrade disc? You could with Vista Upgrade and it doesn't surprise me that you can with a 7 Upgrade DVD as well. I take everything with a grain of salt on the internet, as everyone should, but do you really think that Paul Thurrott is lying?

I don't have an Upgrade DVD so I have no way to verify it myself. If you don't have one then you can't verify it either. It may or may not work. The poster wondered if it was possible. I gave him a link to information supporting that it is possible, American Zombie indicates that it's very easy to, and you expressed your unsupported opinion that you can't. Maybe you don't think it's worth the trouble, but I think the poster can decide whether or not it's worth it to try to do it himself.

Peace.

11. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Thanks for the replys...I'll order it and see what happens

12. Dark Atheist

Even ms dont advise it, so you going to tell them they are wrong also?

If the user wants to piss about with reg hacks fine up to them, its faster to do a clean install.

13. roirraW "edor" ehT

Of course MS doesn't advise it. They're not looking to have people spend less money than they could be spending. MS says all sorts of things and people continually show that you can do things that MS says can't or shouldn't be done. Personally, I love doing things with software or hardware that aren't meant to be done.

14. Dark Atheist

15. roirraW "edor" ehT

Microsoft official method for clean install using upgrade media

Microsoft official method for clean install using upgrade media

16. American Zombie

Looks like it is time to finalize this thread.

Yes, you can use the Win 7 upgrade to do a clean install BUT to be legally licensed you MUST OWN a previous version of Windows that qualifys for the upgrade such as Windows XP.
    If you do not have a previous version then you can not legally use the upgrade media to do a clean install.

Attached Files:

17. Dark Atheist

^^^

in the link i posted ;)

18. American Zombie

The pic I posted has more examples and I wanted the thread to have a pic as some people do not follow links.

19. Dark Atheist

ah an "idiots guide to....." ;)

20. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

Win-7 upgrade comes with both 32 and 64 bit disks. I installed it to a new hard drive. It asked to see a legal copy of XP and it accepted a XP home upgrade version.