Another obvious question!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by lancer, Dec 13, 2008.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

For some reason some of my folders are showing this synbol, see attached image, and i cannot delete those folders. anyone know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Mizzle

Mizzle Oh, now I know...!

3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

more that likely you dont have the right permission, normally this is for root folders/system and other user files/folders

4. Mizzle

Yeah, I guess that could be it as well.

5. lancer

i certainly have the permissions is my machine... i even went into permissions and manually set all the permissions and made the machine to "apply to enclosed folders" read/write for everyone, the folder is shared, i'll unshare it and see if that helps.

6. lancer

ok undoing shared did not work, doing everything apple tells me to do does not work.... ****...

UPDATE

Well i managed to delete it, but without apples ****ing help i actually connected through a share from my pc and deleted the folder that way....

7. Mizzle

That's one of the many reasons I'm a Windows guy :D

Glad you resolved the problem though.

lancer likes this.
  8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You could have probably deleted it from via Terminal if you sudo'd, you just didn't have permission to delete it. This sort of thing can happen from time to time when you don't run an OS as admin by default (glares at Windows box). :)

lancer likes this.
  9. lancer

i am in admin mode ALL the time, although this is not advised, so there is no reason for this to have happened nd i did try to delete it from terminal and that did not help either, which is ****ing weird.

10. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

lancer runs as root eh - lets all get his ip :D

11. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

You may be the "admin" user but did you sudo or input your password in the course of deleting this file? If not you didn't have the correct privileges. :(

12. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

HA, dont let him know :suprised:

13. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

and they say mac os makes life easier...

14. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

For John Doe user yes, I would even venture to say that it has made my life easier, and I consider myself a power user. However people seem to jump on Apple as soon as something goes wrong, yet it is after all software. It is after all written by humans to run on a device made by humans. Issues will crop up. I too have plenty of issues with Mac OS X every so often, especially when I am attempting to do cross platform things. For example mounting an CIFS share from an OpenSolaris host. At first it would not work, and I had no idea why. I had to change settings on both OpenSolaris and Mac OS X, there was no handy little window telling me what to do. Would have been nice.

That is why there is a choice of what OS to run on the market, you may select from many of the different OS's that exist and pick the one that suites you best.

All OS's are designed and built to make life easier. At least that is what everyone's ads keep proclaiming (Windows Mohave anyone? Mac vs PC ads anyone?)

Overall it is my personal believe that Mac OS X does make things simpler in the long run compared to Windows, Linux, and any other Unix derived OS (Excluding Mach as a Unix derivative).