Annoying Internet Explorer sound.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by celticfan11, May 3, 2005.

1. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

Ok
    I have XP SP2. IE is upgraded to the latest version. I have all the windows sound scheme set at "no sounds". So here is the problem..

My work has a ticketing system for help deks cases. It auto refreshes after a few mins. Each time it refreshes it makes a CLICK sound. It is extremelly annoying. I have searched for *.WAV and listened to EVERY wav file and it is not there. I cannot give out the website for my ticketing system as it requirres a username and password however http://www.mininova.org/ is one website that also does this. I do not know if site is allowed to be posted here but it is only an example of what type of sound i am getting. Load the website and let it run in the background and after a few mins you will hear the CLICK when it refrehses. so how do i turn this off ???

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

start.wav is the file that plays the click sound. You could try browsing for the file and deleting it to see if that resolves the problem.

3. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

thanks i will try it when im back on my xp machine
    98 for now :(

4. xtweaker

xtweaker Tweaking Monkey

Make sure that in the Sound options, under the Windows Explorer section of the Program events window, you don't have "Complete Navigation" enabled with a sound.

Even with the no sounds schemes, it comes back after an update of IE... I've seen this before.

Attached Files:

5. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

turn of mic and use windows wav recorder to record a blip of nothing. then replace the start.wav file with it.

6. xtweaker

xtweaker Tweaking Monkey

Damn you guys are complicating it all.... record a new sound and replace teh file? The problem is oviously somewhere else. I'm sure it's what I said it is... I've seen it happen already.

In any case, if that doesn't work, I'd look more for a registry value to change than a sound to re-record... come on. That's like using duck tape! Not very techy-like... lol

7. VenomXt

hey it works for that annoying sound in trillian. But the concept works anywhere. Im done helping.

8. muzikool

If the sound file isn't there it won't play. I'd just delete the file. :rolleyes:

9. VenomXt

in some situations you would have a program freak out if it looked for a file then didnt find it.. hehe

10. muzikool

Then delete that program. :p

11. VenomXt

12. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

the sound was "Windows XP Start.wav" I just renamed it to "Windows XP Start1.wav" and it solved my problem. Thanks guys :)

13. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

All you would have had to do is go into sounds then under the heading Windows Explorer set Start Navigation to none.

But your way works as well. ;)

14. muzikool

Apparently they appended that file name with Windows XP. That's funny. :laugh:

15. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

stupid windows.. when i say NO SOUNDS i want NO SOUNDS

16. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Ha!!!