AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3000

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by paul2-0-0-2, Nov 18, 2004.

1. paul2-0-0-2

paul2-0-0-2 Moderator

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

IMSO spend a few quid more and get the Winchester if you can afford it - esp. if you plan to overclock - the 90 nm architecture makes them run cooler so they overclock much better... harder to get hold of - but I got a 3500 OK :)

3. dom02

dom02 OSNN Junior Addict

yea I agree. I have a newcastle but it gets hot realy fast when you overclock it. I wish I spent a little extra for the winchester.

4. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I have the 3200 Winchester. It's well worth the month. If you really wanna see a processor get hot fast. Try using a P4 Prescott. OUCH. I idle at 60c, and when I turn on Seti as the main program in use. It goes into the 75c+ range.

5. paul2-0-0-2

paul2-0-0-2 Moderator

lol

I'll ask at the Shop tommrow see if he can get one or look around on the Net thx (Y)

6. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

ive got the 3000 and havent had any problems. i dont overcllcok but runs smooth and cool.

7. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Minframe
    What board do you use?
    I got an Abit AV8 3rd eye for an AMD 64 3500+ 90 nm ,using a desktop PC case,but found it ran too hot to boot.
    Probably cos it was built in an old test case before using in a 10 section large tower with better airflow.

8. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

My full build is mentioned on another thread - the board is an MSI K8N Neo2, but on top of that I used Arctic Silver 5 to apply a Zalman 7000 AlCu and put it in a Nexus Breeze case.....

No real temperature problems for me - probably could overclock, but saving that fun for another day....